Home » Support » 3D Design » 2x Scale Fails Thickness Tests
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
2x Scale Fails Thickness Tests [message #84784] Wed, 12 February 2014 13:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar AcetheSuperVillain  is currently offline AcetheSuperVillain
Go to my shop
I want to make some sci-fi and fantasy toys, so I've been working on a test model to practice on. I decided to make them in the same scale as D&D miniatures (1 inch = 5 feet or 1:60) so that they can be used for miniature gaming if desired, but also in larger scales for consumers who simply want to enjoy the models as toys. The smaller model passed the automated thickness test fine, but when I uploaded 2x scale model (1.99w x 1.99d x 5.654h cm) it failed the test, highlighting the smaller fingers in her right hand and some of her bangs.

I'm confused. Shouldn't increasing the size of the model make it easier to pass the thickness test? What gives?
Re: 2x Scale Fails Thickness Tests [message #84791 is a reply to message #84784 ] Wed, 12 February 2014 15:34 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
There is probably something else going on here.

Yes, from a mathematical standpoint, increasing the size increases the wall thickness. No argument there.. I've done it 100s of times.

It may be that the software you use is exporting it badly, or that you're looking at a different material than what you checked the smaller model in.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Material for lamp
Next Topic:Wall Thickness unresolved

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.