Home »  » Suggestions » Discount for prototyping based on Average sales.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84612] Sun, 09 February 2014 15:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar d3wey  is currently offline d3wey
Go to my shop
Not owning a 3D printer myself (and not yet making enough to justify one) I find it expensive to create prototypes using Shapeways and sales are always better with photos of the real thing (as well as proving fitment on my applications).

Now I have established myself as a shop owner with solid regular sales I like the idea of getting a personal 'prototype discount', the percentage of which is based on my sales success (and hence money made for Shapeways).

My thinking would be that first a shop owner proves themself an average sales over 6 months.

After this Shapeways then offer a prototyping discount based on average gross sales (the amount that Shapeways makes after markup).

The way I see it is that we (shop owners) are making revenue for Shapeways daily. The more we design, the more Shapeways makes. We therefore deserve incentive to keep going. Personally if it was cheaper for me to prototype I'd design way more and that would make Shapeways more.

To prevent over use it could be limited to a certain number (or amount) of purchases per month.

Net result = more designs, better photos and hence more sales all round.
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84621 is a reply to message #84612 ] Sun, 09 February 2014 18:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FreeRangeBrain  is currently offline FreeRangeBrain
Go to my shop
Quote:

To prevent over use...

This part contradicts your entire scheme. If some is a good (read: profitable) thing for Shapeways to do, then more is also a good thing. If not, then "some" is inherently not a good idea.

Creativity - sometimes by the brute force method.
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84622 is a reply to message #84621 ] Sun, 09 February 2014 18:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
FreeRangeBrain wrote on Sun, 09 February 2014 18:19

Quote:

To prevent over use...

This part contradicts your entire scheme. If some is a good (read: profitable) thing for Shapeways to do, then more is also a good thing. If not, then "some" is inherently not a good idea.

Fair point I guess. As a designer I'd prefer not to be limited at all and I'm sure Shapeways would map out the pros and cons themselves.

I think you can see what I mean with the overall idea though. Encourage and incetivise designers to do more by making the process cheaper for them based on a ratio of success.

I'd love to hear what other shop owners think to this?
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84654 is a reply to message #84612 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 10:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Innovo  is currently offline Innovo
Go to my shop

I completely agree. There should be a separation between shop owners-designers and customers. We have different needs and objectives.
There should be a discount for those making bulk sales or bulk orders. The more a designer sells (or orders) the greatest the discount should be. BTW I am not talking about crazy discounts here. Even a 10% makes a difference...

Innovation & Design

http://www.etsy.com/shop/InnovoDesign
http://www.zazzle.com/innovodesign*
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84663 is a reply to message #84654 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 14:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for your input innovo.

Yes the discounts don't need to be crazy at all. Personally I think Shapeways could come up with a scheme based on a Shop owners sales history pretty easily. I would suggest incremented discounts based on the shop's profitablity to Shapeways..... shops making small profits get say 5%, medium 10, high 15-20%

Ultimateley Shapeways stand to lose a percentage of their profit margin on a handful of individual items but make it all back on the value added to those items from real time photos when they are put up for sale. Net result = more sales and better quality postings so everyone is happy.
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84699 is a reply to message #84663 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 22:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SavIsSavvy  is currently offline SavIsSavvy
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Everyone,

This is a really interesting discussion, and as always we appreciate the input and feedback :).

Here's what I can tell you:

- We often run "Maker/Shop Owner Only" promotions, ie any sale we do that is "on your models only" (I can think of at least 3 in Q4 of 2013. We like to reward our Makers & Shop Owners for their hard work, as well as encourage photography and sharing of models with others, and we know this helps a lot! Keep your eyes peeled in your inbox for upcoming promotions and specials in the Shop Owner Newsletters to come this year.

- We work incredibly hard everyday to make 3D Printing as affordable and accessible as possible. Over the last year alone we've managed to drop prices on many of our materials. Take ceramics, for example, which at the end of last year dropped in cost by 40% (on average, by model). We are a startup just like you, and know how important price is, that's why our margins are incredibly low to begin with. We have decided not to charge per listing, as many sites do, and we do not take a portion of your markup (save for credit card fees). When we say that our materials are as cheap as we can sanely make them to sustain our business, we mean it. Anytime a process or material is improved or made more efficient, we lower our prices accordingly.

There is a lot of value of being a part of the Shapeways platform, and we hope that you continue to enjoy being a part of our beloved Shapie family!

Dialogue like this is always appreciated :). Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best Always

Savannah, your Shop Owner Coach/Global Community Manager
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84700 is a reply to message #84699 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 22:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the feedback Savannah.

Suffice to say the current setup is by no means something that could be complained about. As you say you don't charge for listings as other sites might.

I would however say that the reasons you stated such as no listing fees are probably why you are growing so fast as a company. Low margins but LOTS of business. That is really why I see this as being a viable option for Shapeways. It rewards the people that make that business but in a way that is ultimately exponentially benefiical to the business model as a whole.

Cheaper prototypes = more designs and better photos. More designs and better photos = more sales. More sales = more profit for the shop owner and shapeways. More profit for the shop owner = more designs...

I agree that we as shop owners do see discounts from time to time and all are of course commendable and very welcome. As a designer though if I know there is a discount coming up I will ball up as many designs as I can so I can keep my prototyping overheads down by buying them when there is a discount and making use of a single shipping fee.

Either way thanks for coming back to us in this thread.... means a lot for any company to prove they are keeping an ear firmly to ground and a pulse on their customers.
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84720 is a reply to message #84699 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 05:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Quote:

... and we do not take a portion of your markup (save for credit card fees).

You take 3.5% of the Mark-up regardless of how payment was made.
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84724 is a reply to message #84720 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 07:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Innovo  is currently offline Innovo
Go to my shop
AmLachDesigns wrote on Tue, 11 February 2014 05:56

Quote:

... and we do not take a portion of your markup (save for credit card fees).

You take 3.5% of the Mark-up regardless of how payment was made.

I think that covers Paypal and credit card fees...

Innovation & Design

http://www.etsy.com/shop/InnovoDesign
http://www.zazzle.com/innovodesign*
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84726 is a reply to message #84724 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 07:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
The proposals of keeping markup as shop credit for limited time (yearly flush around November? it's what SW have done for past 2 years even if you have less than the minimum), would get rid of the paypal and currency exchange fees. And if you think about it, it would mean paypal fees, plural, both ways.
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84729 is a reply to message #84724 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 09:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Quote:

I think that covers Paypal and credit card fees...

Not quite sure what you are saying Innovo - it covers payment by any form (credit card, PayPal or Bank Transfer) but certainly does not cover ancillary PayPal fees.

My point was that the 3.5 % is an income stream to SW, and I do not think it just covers payment processing. And it has certainly existed longer than the possibility to pay by credit card. I was forced to get a PayPal account to use SW if I did not want to perform many tedious (and expensive) bank transfers.
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84744 is a reply to message #84612 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 15:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
For paypal as an example, If a transaction is less than $45, we lose money. Their fees are listed here

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84748 is a reply to message #84744 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 16:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Tue, 11 February 2014 15:58

For paypal as an example, If a transaction is less than $45, we lose money. Their fees are listed here

That page is in Spanish.

I don't see how you lose money - presumably the cost of payment processing is built in to the original model price BEFORE mark-up, for when you sell to designers.
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84750 is a reply to message #84748 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 17:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Spanish?? It's English when I view the page...

The topic here is PayPal fees on Markups that go to the designers, not what the buyers pay.. those can't be computed into the "base price" because the Markup is decided upon by the Shopowner.

1) The model has a base cost of $XXX
2) The designer adds some $YYY of markup.
3) The buyer pays $XXX+$YYY
4) The accumulated Markups are sent on the 15th to the designer, minus a composite 3.5% that goes to PayPal as transaction fees.

#1 above (likely) includes a payment overhead for accepting the money from PP or CC processor, but that is not related to the transaction fee sending Markup payments.

I have no intent on starting a flame war, but Shapeways is not "profiting" off of the transaction fees. Paypal is. THAT discussion (the evils of PP) should be held somewhere else.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 February 2014 17:13 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84755 is a reply to message #84750 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 17:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Interesting points here guys but it is straying from the original concept. I was factoring paypal fees into my thoughts at all. That is a factor that is, for the most part, out of everyones hands apart from Paypal.

For those that have commented on the Paypal stuff, what do you think to the original idea? Incremented discounts for prototype purchase based on sales success?
Re: Discount for prototyping based on Average sales. [message #84756 is a reply to message #84612 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 17:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
As Sav said, contact us.

Also, we run contests that can be a great source of startup income. We've been slacking a little on the weekend contests, but we'll get them going again soon.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Better order list
Next Topic:I understand that Shapeways may print my print parts from the same order at different times but...

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.