Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Hinge closure needed
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hinge closure needed [message #84212] Sun, 02 February 2014 13:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar raw_gd  is currently offline raw_gd
Go to all my models
Hey guys.
I need someone to come up with a method of closing the hinge portrayed in the Cinema 4D file i've uploaded, preferably by 'snapping' an extension of the 'moving' object into a groove on the 'jewel' object.
In the end, the parts will be assembled in silver.

Check out the file and let me know how much you'd like for payment!
I can do paypal :)

Kind regards,
Brad

• Attachment: hinge.c4d
    (Size: 439.25KB, Downloaded 20 time(s))

Re: Hinge closure needed [message #84213 is a reply to message #84212 ] Sun, 02 February 2014 14:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar NikkruGadgets  is currently offline NikkruGadgets
Go to my shop
Hi. Could you upload an image or a transfer format like .obj .stl .stp .step etc.?
Re: Hinge closure needed [message #84214 is a reply to message #84213 ] Sun, 02 February 2014 14:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Sure, here's an obj

• Attachment: hinge.obj
    (Size: 450.55KB, Downloaded 23 time(s))

Re: Hinge closure needed [message #84215 is a reply to message #84214 ] Sun, 02 February 2014 14:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well, a little lever at the end or a four jointed mechanism come to mind
Re: Hinge closure needed [message #84598 is a reply to message #84215 ] Sun, 09 February 2014 02:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I'm not sure I follow, or if it'd be suitable.
Could you find a picture off of google or something that shows a mechanism similar to that which you'd implement?

My original assumption was that someone could replicate something functional and similar to this;
http://bodyartforms-products.bodyartforms.com/rose-gold-septum-clicker-15560.jpg

That would be preferable.
Re: Hinge closure needed [message #84611 is a reply to message #84598 ] Sun, 09 February 2014 14:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sure, I could make you something like this.
I suppose it's press fit? Do intend to 3D print it? Cause the accuracy is indicated as +/-0,125mm so at worst there might be a tolerance of 0,5mm
Re: Hinge closure needed [message #84613 is a reply to message #84212 ] Sun, 09 February 2014 15:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
There are no moving parts allowed in silver.
Do you really need the hinge?
If you kept the design more simple you could print this as one piece.
You would need to twist the ring to open it.

If you were to use this design, then I would print it as the second image shows.
Once you have twisted the ring to it's correct shape, there would be a tendency for the 'spring' effect to keep it closed.
index.php?t=getfile&id=51510&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=51513&private=0

[Updated on: Sun, 09 February 2014 17:12 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Hinge closure needed [message #84630 is a reply to message #84613 ] Sun, 09 February 2014 21:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
@NikkruGadgets
Would it still function at that size, (2mm thickness on the actual ring) taking into account the clearance needed? Or would it be too loose?

If press fit isn't an option, I'm open to other ideas that are similar and would give me a neat hinge closure at this size.

@JACANT
I wish a twist open ring was a possibility, but due to the piercing this is intended to slide into, it would make it near impossible to get in, and also I wouldn't be comfortable with constantly warping the silver on purpose. (considering there will also be a detailed design on the main piece)

I know moving parts aren't allowed, I planned on printing all 3 parts separately (main section, hinge pin, pivoting section), and then silver soldering the hinge pin into place. (or, getting a professional to do so depending on how daunted I feel lol)
Re: Hinge closure needed [message #84653 is a reply to message #84630 ] Mon, 10 February 2014 10:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well, from my understanding, if the hole was to be designed to be 1mm, when brinted it could be anything between 0,875 and 1,125
With the other part being 1mm, it too would be anything between 0,875 and 1,125.

Now for a press fit, this means that the inner part would need to be designed with 1,250mm which means it will be 1,125 - 1,500 when printed
That means a it might be a transition fit if the hole and other part both turn out to be 1,125mm, but if the hole turns out to be 0,875mm and the other part 1,500 there'd be a problem. A tight fit is usually around 10-30µm not 625µm (625 devided by two of course, but still).
Anything else might result in a loose fit. (e.g. if both parts were 1mm, the hole could turn out to be 1,125 and the other part 0,875)

However, that's just my impression, maybe someone with more experience with the materials and juwelery will know if it's possible or not.
My hook idea would include pushing the ring together a bit for closing and opening.

What application do you have in mind for it? You want it to be attached and unattached to a body piercing?
Re: Hinge closure needed [message #84705 is a reply to message #84212 ] Tue, 11 February 2014 00:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
PM sent.

index.php?t=getfile&id=51671&private=0

jacantdesign@gmail.com

Previous Topic:Modeling the Face of a Robotic Defender of the Universe?
Next Topic:Need 3D modeler for series of car models