Home » Support » 3D Design » Pendant help?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Pendant help? [message #84466] Thu, 06 February 2014 18:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar oipteaapdoce  is currently offline oipteaapdoce
Go to all my models
I have been trying to use the 2D-3D creator, and I get all the fancy lettering from my jpg just coming out as separate instead of raised on a backing :(.

I have also downloaded the various free 3d programs, and none of th em allow me to start with my own artwork, from what I can tell. I did get something half decent in artcam, but their format seems to be used solely by them and not supported on this site :(. Photoshop doesn't seem to be helping any either due to lack of 3dness, and lack of being able to save in the supported formats.

Since I need to make about 200 of these in total... I really do need to figure out how to do it myself.

Help? :)

The image attached is just one example...

Re: Pendant help? [message #84468 is a reply to message #84466 ] Thu, 06 February 2014 19:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
I think the 2D-3D app converts grayscales into height - try changing the background of the "backing" region in your image to some light gray instead of plain white.
Re: Pendant help? [message #84470 is a reply to message #84466 ] Thu, 06 February 2014 19:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT is currently online JACANT
Go to my shop
oipteaapdoce wrote on Thu, 06 February 2014 18:56

Photoshop doesn't seem to be helping any either due to lack of 3dness, and lack of being able to save in the supported formats.

http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/a-basic-guide-to-photos hops-3d-tools--psd-6042

PM sent

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Pendant help? [message #84471 is a reply to message #84468 ] Thu, 06 February 2014 19:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
mkroeker wrote on Thu, 06 February 2014 19:05

I think the 2D-3D app converts grayscales into height - try changing the background of the "backing" region in your image to some light gray instead of plain white.

I will try that, thank you :).
Re: Pendant help? [message #84474 is a reply to message #84470 ] Thu, 06 February 2014 20:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
The grey background didn't help at all unfortunately :(.
Re: Pendant help? [message #84485 is a reply to message #84466 ] Thu, 06 February 2014 23:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I now have photoshop cs5, hopefully that will help to make life even easier. I have noticed that it has an export to collada option :).

Still not sure how to make the lines and letters raised though :(.

Might have to go with the multiple 3d layers someone from here recommended...
Re: Pendant help? [message #84486 is a reply to message #84485 ] Thu, 06 February 2014 23:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I added a gray background to your image, and ran it thru the 2dTo3d converter. Attached is the result.

You are going to have trouble with this image due to the tiny details on the lettering.

You either are going to have to make the item significantly larger, or make the walls of each character thicker.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Pendant help? [message #84489 is a reply to message #84486 ] Thu, 06 February 2014 23:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
stonysmith wrote on Thu, 06 February 2014 23:17

I added a gray background to your image, and ran it thru the 2dTo3d converter. Attached is the result.

You are going to have trouble with this image due to the tiny details on the lettering.

You either are going to have to make the item significantly larger, or make the walls of each character thicker.

That looks awesome/perfect! However when I use my own other images with a grey background, or even your image that you added the grey background onto, I still only get floating letters without a background thick bit... like on yours? Did you use some software to add a thick extra layer on there? If so what did you use and how did you use it? :) Or is is that I'm just not finding the right option to select?
Re: Pendant help? [message #84497 is a reply to message #84489 ] Fri, 07 February 2014 04:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Make sure you have selected the option for Greyscale, and that you also press the Update button.
index.php?t=getfile&id=51350&private=0

• Attachment: Image1.jpg
    (Size: 60.30KB, Downloaded 55 time(s))

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Pendant help? [message #84499 is a reply to message #84497 ] Fri, 07 February 2014 05:35 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
stonysmith wrote on Fri, 07 February 2014 04:43

Make sure you have selected the option for Greyscale, and that you also press the Update button.
index.php?t=getfile&id=51350&private=0

Oh one million thank you's! The problem was that I hadn't clicked the update view thing!!!

To think, I tried all those different 3D softwares for nothing LOL.

They look perfect now :).

Previous Topic:Total Newbie here need some help
Next Topic:Fixing the model - help needed - resolved - Thanks to Pavan Ganti!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.