Home » Support » 3D Design » Wall thickness
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wall thickness [message #84290] Mon, 03 February 2014 19:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar drhughharvey  is currently offline drhughharvey
Go to my shop
Hi guys,

I have had some success getting some anatomical models printed, but one of my vertebral body models keeps getting rejected as having walls that are too thin, despite netfabb giving the all clear.

Now, I'm not really any good with Blender, so can anyone help me or tutor me in a good method to FIND the thin walls and then make JUST those walls thicker?
I've tried the solidify modifier, but that does all the walls.

Also, there are bits 'floating' inside the body of the model - any ideas how to remove them? Again, a tutorial or explanation would be great!

The .stl can be found attached

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Wall thickness [message #84302 is a reply to message #84290 ] Mon, 03 February 2014 21:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
For finding them, have you tried the "3d printing toolbox" addon (comes with blender, but has to be enabled in Preferences) ?
For correcting them, I am not sure - frogs and blenders don't mix well - but maybe once the toolbox check highlights them, the solidifier
acts only on these ?
Re: Wall thickness [message #84309 is a reply to message #84302 ] Mon, 03 February 2014 22:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Open the Model in Netfabb Basic.
Select Repair.
Right click the model, and pick "Select this Shell"
Right click again, and pick "Extract these triangles as separate part".
Then, right click a 3rd time and pick "Export".

That will remove the "floating bits" - it's entirely possible that that floating piece itself was the source of the "too thin" rejection.

====
If you want to see the floating part:
Open the Model in Netfabb Basic.
Select Repair.
Right click the model, and pick "Select this Shell"
Right click again and pick "Remove selected Triangles"

This will show you the floating bits... To back out and avoid making any changes, just close the program.

• Attachment: L2smoothA.stl
    (Size: 33.12MB, Downloaded 23 time(s))

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Wall thickness [message #84311 is a reply to message #84309 ] Mon, 03 February 2014 22:48 UTC Go to previous message
avatar drhughharvey  is currently offline drhughharvey
Go to my shop
Thanks!
Worked a treat in removing the debris!

I'll try getting this printed again - hopefully the thin-wall problem has been solved!

Previous Topic:separate parts
Next Topic:Engraving with a rounded grove in Blender

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.