Home » Support » 3D Design » Modeling a Drill
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Modeling a Drill [message #83910] Mon, 27 January 2014 16:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar Luxord52  is currently offline Luxord52
Go to my shop
I create this thread in the event that someone may be able to lend a hand. I am attempting to model a drill in the shape of a cone, with a five turn spiral inset thread. My problem is in the creation of the thread. Using Blender I've been attempting to use curves to form the proper spiral, but to no avail, as for some reason unbeknownst to me, it inevitably twists on an axis I cannot control. I ask in case anyone here has had any luck creating a spiral that is viable for creating a drill thread.

~With Regards, Lux
Re: Modeling a Drill [message #83916 is a reply to message #83910 ] Mon, 27 January 2014 18:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Good question - this might help here

Anyway, a combination of Screw and then Simple Deform (Taper) would seem to be the way to go.
Re: Modeling a Drill [message #83948 is a reply to message #83910 ] Tue, 28 January 2014 00:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Like this?
http://wiki.blender.org/uploads/thumb/1/1d/Manual-Part-II-Screw02.png/300px-Manual-Part-II-Screw02.png
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Manual/Modeling/Me shes/Editing/Duplicating/Screw
Re: Modeling a Drill [message #83967 is a reply to message #83948 ] Tue, 28 January 2014 10:05 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Nice one Stannum, much better.

I haven't (until just now!) used either the Modifier or Edit Mode Tool method, but for the OP's purpose you are right, the Tool is better. It's great to learn this stuff.

The link you give is to the 2.4 documentation, this is to the 2.6 doc and explains it a bit more fully, I think.

Previous Topic:Ceramics wall thickness
Next Topic:Modeling a Webber Side Draft manifold for SBC 1/16 scale model engine

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.