Home » Community » General Discussion » Don't want to recieve model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Don't want to recieve model [message #83817] Sat, 25 January 2014 09:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar Freakazoitt  is currently offline Freakazoitt
Go to my shop
What if I don't want to receive the printed model?
Because there is too much fuss with postal service.

Is it possible to give printed model to Shapeways team and recieve seweral photos instead to put it into model page?
Re: Don't want to recieve model [message #83818 is a reply to message #83817 ] Sat, 25 January 2014 10:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
p.s. not printed yet, just assuming
Re: Don't want to recieve model [message #83821 is a reply to message #83817 ] Sat, 25 January 2014 12:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Have it delivered to a friend (or professional photographer studio) who can take pictures for you, or arrange for said friend to order it if you are in different countries ? Not sure if it would make sense for shapeways to invest in providing such a service, as you would want more than just some office guy snapping a quick picture with his mobile phone.
Re: Don't want to recieve model [message #83831 is a reply to message #83817 ] Sat, 25 January 2014 17:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FreeRangeBrain  is currently offline FreeRangeBrain
Go to my shop
Quote:

Because there is too much fuss with postal service.

Simple solution: move to New York or Eindhoven - they offer pick-up service, I believe.

If "postal service" is considered a "fuss", you have no problems in life.

[Updated on: Sat, 25 January 2014 17:49 UTC]

Creativity - sometimes by the brute force method.
Re: Don't want to recieve model [message #83832 is a reply to message #83831 ] Sat, 25 January 2014 18:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
FreeRangeBrain wrote on Sat, 25 January 2014 17:47

If "postal service" is considered a "fuss", you have no problems in life.

So far we do not know what the "fuss" is - depending on where freakazoit lives, it might be huge import taxes, parcels getting lost or stolen, or having to travel out of town to collect the parcel at some UPS depot or customs office...

Perhaps look at who favorited items in your shop, and has a shop here with decent pictures of their own objects, and then PM them if they would be willing to help ? (Shapeways' policy of requiring billing and shipping adresses to be in the same country might be a bit of an obstacle here, but you might find some way of reimbursement outside of shapeways e.g. if you both use paypal already)
Re: Don't want to recieve model [message #83833 is a reply to message #83817 ] Sat, 25 January 2014 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MrNib  is currently offline MrNib
Go to my shop
You might consider finding an Ebay drop-off store to do this work for you. I don't think they are officially connected with Ebay so their rules and fees would be variable. But if you could somehow get the item to one of these places they would likely charge a few bucks to take decent photos and do a listing for you on Ebay. Since it would be a consignment type sale they would charge a large percentage of the selling price. If it does sell you might get a rough idea of what your model is worth, and if it doesn't it doesn't sound like you care what happens to it if they can't ship it back to you.

I doesn't sound like Shapeways wants to get into the business of taking photos but maybe they could forge an agreement with a company that could do this. All it would require is a check box on the order form to divert a model shipment to the third party location. The customer would continue to be charged for shipment since it is being shipped and Shapeways could save on overall shipping costs since several orders going to the third party could be sent in the same box. Sounds like a win-win for everybody. There is an opportunity for an entrepreneur to step into this void!

[Updated on: Sat, 25 January 2014 19:12 UTC]

Re: Don't want to recieve model [message #83845 is a reply to message #83833 ] Sun, 26 January 2014 02:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
This model: https://www.shapeways.com/model/1657130/test-print-1.html

Recieving this will be long story - first, Russian customs I can't write about them without bad words
Then, some wonders from postal service
Then, it will arrive to my city after month and when it actually arrived, they may say it wasn't

If I want to suffer all this, I'll order more valuable models later, not small testing one

I know, recieving other models and making photo is not anyone business, but if there are already some expirience with such things?
Re: Don't want to recieve model [message #83848 is a reply to message #83845 ] Sun, 26 January 2014 12:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
How about this. Find someone in your city that can print it for you and then take your own pictures and upload them to your Shapeways shop. That might not seem right, being that Shapeways didn't actually print the product, but the thing is, everyone uses the same machines all over the world. There are only a few machines that everyone is using from a few 3D printing machine manufactures, so it's easy to find out what Shapeways is using and find the same in your city.

Not for brass and silver though. For these two materials there is quite a bit of skill involved with the production of these, so everybody is going to produce something different.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Don't want to recieve model [message #83882 is a reply to message #83845 ] Mon, 27 January 2014 08:21 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
If you are reasonably sure that the parts are good enough, you could also just try offering them for sale with something like
"These parts have not been test printed as I have difficulties with deliveries to my country. If you buy them, please send me a few pictures"

Previous Topic:Quick 3D printing survey
Next Topic:Mass production

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.