Home » Community » Feature this!  » Stereographic projection
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Stereographic projection [message #81107] Thu, 12 December 2013 06:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar henryseg  is currently offline henryseg
Go to my shop
Stereographic projection is a map from the sphere to the plane: Imagine straight lines going from the north pole of the sphere down onto the plane. Each line hits the sphere in one point and the plane in one point. Stereographic projection maps that point on the sphere to the point on the plane.

If you put a light source at the north pole of this sculpture (for example, my cellphone light), the rays of light effectively do stereographic projection, and the curves on the sphere cast shadows, mapping them to a straight line grid on the plane.

Shapeways shop.
Video.

index.php?t=getfile&id=47216&private=0

Re: Stereographic projection [message #81129 is a reply to message #81107 ] Thu, 12 December 2013 16:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Genghis  is currently offline Genghis
Go to my shop
Wow ! Very clever indeed. Nice to see how well it works !
I think there are many other possibilites, maybe with mirrors..

Engineer in Mechanical Design & 3D Printing Enthusiast
Re: Stereographic projection [message #81258 is a reply to message #81129 ] Fri, 13 December 2013 22:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar seriaforma  is currently offline seriaforma
Go to my shop
Very cool!
Re: Stereographic projection [message #81287 is a reply to message #81107 ] Sat, 14 December 2013 16:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tomservo  is currently offline tomservo
Go to my shop
Very cool.
Re: Stereographic projection [message #81701 is a reply to message #81287 ] Thu, 19 December 2013 17:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SavIsSavvy  is currently offline SavIsSavvy
Go to my shop
I work here
Super cool! Not only did I learn something new, but was mesmerized... we tweeted this today :)

Savannah, your Shop Owner Coach/Global Community Manager
Re: Stereographic projection [message #81704 is a reply to message #81701 ] Thu, 19 December 2013 17:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Savannah!
Re: Stereographic projection [message #83275 is a reply to message #81704 ] Thu, 16 January 2014 12:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Further adventures in stereographic projection!

This time using a Mini Maglite LED torch/flashlight for the light source.

Shapeways shop section.

Video.

index.php?t=getfile&id=49691&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=49692&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=49693&private=0

Re: Stereographic projection [message #83791 is a reply to message #83275 ] Fri, 24 January 2014 15:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar DesignbyDalton  is currently offline DesignbyDalton
Go to my shop
Impressive with the grid shadow, very impressive.

I am always open for commission, if you like my work and want something unique to you, somthing no one else can have but you, drop me a PM and we can talk.

Previous Topic:COROLLA project
Next Topic:Descending Snail

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.