Home » Support » 3D Design » Model not curving when uploaded?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model not curving when uploaded? [message #82965] Fri, 10 January 2014 15:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar Indickua  is currently offline Indickua
Go to all my models
The first link is how it looks in Maya and the second is when uploaded -

http://gyazo.com/c62e1f25731516bb749a6b86688d0ab5.png
http://gyazo.com/c40ad60dee7751c9e455c458ddc3f907.png

Uploaded as OBJ
Re: Model not curving when uploaded? [message #82967 is a reply to message #82965 ] Fri, 10 January 2014 15:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
What you see in Maya is just lighting/shading trickery. You need to switch off "soft edges" and increase the polygon count.
Re: Model not curving when uploaded? [message #82968 is a reply to message #82967 ] Fri, 10 January 2014 15:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Indickua  is currently offline Indickua
Go to all my models
But soft edges mode changes the geometry right?
Re: Model not curving when uploaded? [message #82970 is a reply to message #82968 ] Fri, 10 January 2014 15:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
It produces a smoother visual appearance of the same "edgy" geometry. See this recent thread.
Re: Model not curving when uploaded? [message #83003 is a reply to message #82967 ] Fri, 10 January 2014 23:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
mkroeker wrote on Fri, 10 January 2014 15:31

What you see in Maya is just lighting/shading trickery. You need to switch off "soft edges" and increase the polygon count.

The provided images show some kind of geometry change in the gears, not just shading. The silhouette is curvy, so the polygon count is high. In Blender terms, the trick would be to apply the modifier, not remove it. So he has to figure the Maya equivalent so export saves the high poly version and not the control mesh.

The other thread suggests that the Mental Ray user doesn't understand that MR is doing that too (as Blender renderers do with Subdivision modifiers), compute the new surface. Raising the controlable polycount when a basic mesh can be used to control a finer one is just a nightmare.

Previous Topic:How to design X3D file suitable for color printing in Blender?
Next Topic:Using Mirror Modifier in blender- help needed.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.