Home » Support » 3D Design » How to design X3D file suitable for color printing in Blender?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to design X3D file suitable for color printing in Blender? [message #82791] Wed, 08 January 2014 15:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar goodjob1984  is currently offline goodjob1984
Go to all my models
Hi everyone,

I am a graduate student from the Department of Chemistry in the University of Houston.
I am new to 3D design and I would like to print out my 3D crystal structure.
After I created a color X3D file I have some problems to make it printable.

I just realize Blender has no "scale" function.
1. I use Blender to build color X3D model which is suitable for my requirement.
Problems: too large scale, no error check
2. In order to do error check in Nettfab, I convert X3D to STL (it cannot read my X3D).
Problems: after checking, cannot select only one part of structure to modify in Blender, cannot add color

After reading tutorial on your website, I am still confused because the cases it mentions mostly related to STL.
My question will be: how to use Blender to directly create color X3D suitable for printing in Shapeways? (right scale, no error, still colored)
Could any one help me out?

Thanks,

Teng-Hao
Re: How to design X3D file suitable for color printing in Blender? [message #82794 is a reply to message #82791 ] Wed, 08 January 2014 16:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
goodjob1984 wrote on Wed, 08 January 2014 15:56

Hi everyone,
I just realize Blender has no "scale" function.

Sure about that ? Have you tried selecting your model and then using "s" for interactive zooming (or "n" for exact scale factor entry) ?
Also as far as I know recent versions of Blender include a "3d printing toolbox" for error checking - you may still have to enable it in your Blender preferences though ?

Previous Topic:Sizing digitally to Actual
Next Topic:Model not curving when uploaded?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.