Home » Support » 3D Printing » Soft Edges in Maya
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Soft Edges in Maya [message #82246] Mon, 30 December 2013 15:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar ArceyoMinYin  is currently offline ArceyoMinYin
Go to all my models
So I apologize if this question is answered elsewhere on this site, however after much searching I could not find an answer. My question is if I have a model in Maya that uses soft edges over many faces to create a smooth, continuous round surface on a portion of the model, will this surface on the 3D printed object also be smooth and continuous, or will it revert these faces back to hard edges? I'm fairly new to this whole 3D printing thing, and any help would be much appreciated.
Re: Soft Edges in Maya [message #82260 is a reply to message #82246 ] Mon, 30 December 2013 16:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
It'll have the hard edges. You need to turn OFF the soft edges in Maya so that you see better what the final print will look like.
This may help a little bit to explain it: http://stonysmith.com/wired/scaling.asp

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Soft Edges in Maya [message #82262 is a reply to message #82246 ] Mon, 30 December 2013 17:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Depends on what Maya does when you select "soft edges" - if it only does a fancy lighting calculation with additional, varied normals on top of the same
coarse "hard-edged" mesh to create a more pleasing visual appearance, you will end up with a faceted model. On the other hand, having soft edges selected might make it use a more precise subdivision of the surface on export. Best to export an example to STL format and check what it looks like
in (free) netfabb studio basic.
Re: Soft Edges in Maya [message #82271 is a reply to message #82262 ] Mon, 30 December 2013 19:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
You are correct in your assumption that it just adjusts the way Maya lights the "soft" edges, and it does not create more subdivisions. The visual appearance does carry over when rendering for animation (at least it does when using Mental Ray) so I wasn't sure if the 3D printing process would also be able to recognize these settings or not. I kinda figured that it wouldn't create the same smooth effect when 3D printed, but I also have never 3D printed before, so figured it'd be easier to ask then learn by trial and error. Thanks for the knowledge, I'll be sure to up the poly count so I actually get the look I'm going for.
Re: Soft Edges in Maya [message #82272 is a reply to message #82260 ] Mon, 30 December 2013 19:20 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Wow, after going through the tutorials for modeling for 3D printing I was only thinking about the thickness of the model itself. It had never occurred to me that the size of the faces themselves might actually play a factor as well. Thank you for the article, I kinda wish that that had been explained in the tutorials as well (unless it is and I just overlooked it). Very informative, I'll definitely keep this in mind when modeling for 3D printing. Thanks again.

Previous Topic:Stainless Steel - Any Nickel?
Next Topic:Which malleable material is most soundproof?