Home » Support » 3D Design » 3-D Newb needs help with manifold problems (I know....)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3-D Newb needs help with manifold problems (I know....) [message #8103] Sun, 06 December 2009 00:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar birdie15  is currently offline birdie15
Go to all my models
Guys, I'm new to 3d design. I've been using sketchup to draw some parts. I uploaded the first one to Shapeways as a VMRL and got the manifold error message.

I can't find any way of finding or eliminating the manifold errors in Sketchup.

Can any of you guys help me out?

I've attached the orignal sketchup file and the WRL.

Thanks,

Simon

• Attachment: brake.wrl
    (Size: 801.88KB, Downloaded 97 time(s))

• Attachment: brake.skp
    (Size: 257.12KB, Downloaded 137 time(s))

Re: 3-D Newb needs help with manifold problems (I know....) [message #8109 is a reply to message #8103 ] Sun, 06 December 2009 14:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
Hi Birdie 15, I've had a look at your model a fixed it for you.
I had to re rmodel it, using your model to trace over.
Double check the dimensions before uploading it for printing.

if your're happy leave a post here http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1584&a mp;start=0&S=4e30ee706fc8f9813de5f4ce956c07b9

Cheers
V

http://dotsan.com

www.dotsan.com
Re: 3-D Newb needs help with manifold problems (I know....) [message #8112 is a reply to message #8103 ] Sun, 06 December 2009 17:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi Virtual V,

Thanks so much Smile

I am having problems with the dimensions when uploading to shapeways. The original model was drawn using centimetres in Sketchup.

If I upload using the millimetres or metres default, it comes out as too small or too large - the numbers are correct but the units don't translate over correctly.

How should I correct this?

Thanks,

Simon
Re: 3-D Newb needs help with manifold problems (I know....) [message #8114 is a reply to message #8112 ] Sun, 06 December 2009 20:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Manged to scale it correctly with Accutrans, thanks again for the work Very Happy
Re: 3-D Newb needs help with manifold problems (I know....) [message #8133 is a reply to message #8114 ] Mon, 07 December 2009 18:45 UTC Go to previous message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
Following up on this: It would be great -- and probably not difficult -- for SW to support "centimeters" as a scale option on uploading STL files. At least in Blender, the natural coordinates for modeling (using the default grid size, default view, typical scale of a SW object given current pricing, etc.) seem to match 1 unit = 1 cm most closely. Allowing cm as a scale option might lower an unnecessary barrier.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 December 2009 18:46 UTC]

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra

Previous Topic:Manifold error, tubular object
Next Topic:just another...manifold problem

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.