Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Applications » Maya Booleans for a Pendent?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  Maya Booleans for a Pendent? [message #79946] Tue, 26 November 2013 23:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar joshuagilbreath  is currently offline joshuagilbreath
Go to my shop
Hello all!

I have a question concerning booleans in use for 3D printing. I am wanting to take this alpha *see attached below* and use Shapeways to make a pendant for my girlfriend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/agentjosh77/ChristmasPendantOutline_zpse09dacda.png

I have drawn out the curves in Illustrator so that the writing is a single expanded vector and the pendent is a single line, as well as the hole for the necklace loop. I have imported those curves but can't seem to figure out the best approach for the booleans procedure. I have tried using Bevel Plus on the pendent a few times and yielded decent results, although I couldn't seem to get a smooth NURBS mesh.

I would like to partially submerge an extruded handwriting in a pendent mesh and have a clean results. In the past, I have always cursed booleans because it never seemed like the results were 100% favorable.

Any advice how how to proceed? Thanks you much!
Josh
Re: Maya Booleans for a Pendent? [message #80159 is a reply to message #79946 ] Fri, 29 November 2013 12:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You could use our '2D to 3D' app for that. You can use different levels of gray to achieve a beveled effect.

If you want to model this yourself in a 3D app, it would depend on the app, I guess. In Blender it would be fairly trivial to extrude this from an AI file, I think.

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Maya Booleans for a Pendent? [message #80411 is a reply to message #80159 ] Tue, 03 December 2013 14:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar joshuagilbreath  is currently offline joshuagilbreath
Go to my shop
A wonderful mod over at simplymaya put together a wonderful series of tutorials covering my question.

Here is the link to that post.

http://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?p=351812&post ed=1#post351812

Thanks again ctbram!

Previous Topic:Shoe design
Next Topic:Shipping abroad

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.