Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » resizing / stretching stainless steel
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
resizing / stretching stainless steel [message #7701] Mon, 09 November 2009 22:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar euphy  is currently offline euphy
Go to my shop
Hi, does anyone know how the metal material reacts to being stretched or compressed, as in a ring-resizing machine? I have made a ring that has some prongs on it for holding a stone, and these are just about springy enough to grip the stone, but I found they snapped much more easily than a wrought metal would.

I'm curious as to how larger masses behave under stress. I don't really have anything precise enough to try that wouldn't just indicate "yeah, if I hit it, it breaks".

cheers!
Re: resizing / stretching stainless steel [message #8023 is a reply to message #7701 ] Wed, 02 December 2009 04:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Thats pretty much the nature of the beast. It will give a tiny amount before the dreaded "snap". This material is very similar to what is called malleable cast iron. In can move a little bit, but it can not be hammered or bent very much before it breaks. The only safe way to "size" a ring would be with stock removal. If you are trying to set gemstones in prongs you might have to rethink your design. Better to fabricate the setting out of wrought metal and then solder them to the DMP ring body.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: resizing / stretching stainless steel [message #8029 is a reply to message #8023 ] Wed, 02 December 2009 14:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Cheers Glen, the granulated look of the surfaces made me think that was probably the case.

I have one stone set from just snapping it in, but it's with very long prongs, so I guess there's enough flex to let me get away with it, and I was lucky too, I think.

sn
Re: resizing / stretching stainless steel [message #8270 is a reply to message #8029 ] Sat, 12 December 2009 16:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi euphy,

can you share a pic? Would love to see the result.

regards,
Peter
Re: resizing / stretching stainless steel [message #8278 is a reply to message #8270 ] Sat, 12 December 2009 17:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
This version just held the stone in with tension alone as the stone pushed the prongs apart (the roughness of the metal surface meant it could "grip" the stone a bit too):
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2475/3987806082_81037f1042_m.jpg

But I put some claws on the ends of the prongs for this version to hold it in more securely:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2433/4043177220_5e7f79b44a_m.jpg
Re: resizing / stretching stainless steel [message #8279 is a reply to message #8278 ] Sat, 12 December 2009 17:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi,

thanks, looks really cool! Expensive gems?
Looks like a nice thing to sell in our shops.

regards,
Peter
Re: resizing / stretching stainless steel [message #8281 is a reply to message #8279 ] Sat, 12 December 2009 18:06 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks! It's a pretty half carat diamond I got offof ebay years ago, but it wasn't expensive because it's very flawed - full of dirt!. Lovely colour though.

Previous Topic:painting white detail + black detail model
Next Topic:Example of primed WSF or white detail?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.