Home » Community » General Discussion » Trying to design miniatures, need help.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Trying to design miniatures, need help. [message #79785] Mon, 25 November 2013 16:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar Cade  is currently offline Cade
Go to all my models
I'm trying to design some miniatures for a tabletop game I'm making, but I've hit a bit of a roadblock. I don't know how small the minimum size for the detailing can be. I know that the minimum detail that the material I've decided on (frosted detail) can be as small as 1/5 of a millimeter, but can that be painted? Or would it get muddied and disappear the moment someone took a brush to it? If someone with experience in this matter could share some advice, I'd be very grateful.

For reference, I'm planning on the miniatures being roughly in the 50 millimeter scale.
Re: Trying to design miniatures, need help. [message #79789 is a reply to message #79785 ] Mon, 25 November 2013 16:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Tricky question. Are you aware of the "stepping lines" issue? If not, you should read some of the forum threads about it.
Basically, the printer has a small degree of inaccuracy from one layer to the next, (the surface is not planar-smooth) and at times, it can be enough to be distracting. The stepping lines MIGHT also be enough to cause your details to disappear.

At 0.1mm or less, on FUD, your details may BARELY show up. I routinely make embossed/engraved FUD details at 0.173mm and they generally work just fine. So, if you're working in FD, even though the guidlines say 0.2mm, you may want to be a bit larger, say 0.3 or 0.35mm

Take a look at the doors and vents on the side of this model: with fairly poor lighting, you can see that these still show up.
https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_1462002_1649025_1384659374.jpg

Compare that to this image with a bit better lighting, and where the item has been painted:
https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_1462002_1648804_1384659344.jpg

If you notice, the doors and vents show up at 0.173mm fairly well, but compare that to the stepping you can see across the roof of the cab - the roof is not as smooth as one might wish.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2013 16:54 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Trying to design miniatures, need help. [message #79794 is a reply to message #79789 ] Mon, 25 November 2013 17:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Cade  is currently offline Cade
Go to all my models
Yes, I am aware of the stepping lines issue and how it would affect curved and angled surfaces.

So if I understood you correctly, as long as I keep my details at least 1.5 times the minimum size, they should both print okay and be able to be painted?

Thanks a bunch, you gave me exactly the information I needed.

Previous Topic:I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways
Next Topic:Too many rejections

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.