Home » Shapeways » Official Announcements » Weekly Release Notes: November 6th - USPS TO CANADA! guest checkout, faster leadtimes
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Weekly Release Notes: November 6th - USPS TO CANADA! guest checkout, faster leadtimes [message #78373] Thu, 07 November 2013 05:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
This weeks release includes:

* Guest Checkout - New Shapeways visitors can now breeze through checkout process without having to create an account, which we hope will result in more sales for you
* Faster Lead times!! - White Strong and Flexible Polished drops from 12 to 9 business days and Frosted Ultra Detail Plastic from 8 to 6 business days! Woo now you can get your products even faster Smile

AND DRUM ROLL PLEASE : NO MORE UPS TO CANADA!!!

I'm SO happy to bring you this news ... no more UPS to Canada! That's right, you made it loud and clear that UPS and the resultant brokerage fees were a huge problem so now we're shipping to Canada exclusively through the United States Postal Service. What does this mean for you? It means that you'll now be paying an upfront fee of $11.50 but that you won't be paying those expensive and unpredictable brokerage fees that many of you have been hit with in the past. Keep in mind that although the upfront price of USPS is a little bit higher than UPS, you'll be saving $30+ in brokerage fees. We know that many of you have been asking for this for a while and hope it makes your Shapeways experience ten times better!

We're working hard to make sure that Canadian Shapies have the best shipping options in time for the holidays. So keep on 3D Printing and let us know what else we can do to make your lives easier!

Natalia

[Updated on: Fri, 08 November 2013 01:40 UTC]

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Weekly Release Notes: November 6th - USPS TO CANADA! guest checkout, faster leadtimes [message #78486 is a reply to message #78373 ] Fri, 08 November 2013 15:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeronick  is currently offline aeronick
Go to my shop
Thank you thank you thank you so much for this. Dealing with international shipments through UPS Canada has been such a hassle. I will definitely be ordering from Shapeways more frequently now.
Re: Weekly Release Notes: November 6th - USPS TO CANADA! guest checkout, faster leadtimes [message #78498 is a reply to message #78373 ] Fri, 08 November 2013 16:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Yay great to hear Smile

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Weekly Release Notes: November 6th - USPS TO CANADA! guest checkout, faster leadtimes [message #78556 is a reply to message #78498 ] Sat, 09 November 2013 05:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HappenstanceHeroes  is currently offline HappenstanceHeroes
Go to my shop
As soon as I saw the e-mail announcement, I couldn't believe my eyes! Bless you, bless you, bless you! We only ever placed one order and after dealing with the insane brokerage fees once, we stopped allowing ourselves to order anything entirely. I just hoped that one day the wait would pay off (so to speak). File this announcement under 'Christmas Miracle'! You guys are super great and I hope whoever did the most to facilitate this update gets a MILLION PROMOTIONS.
Re: Weekly Release Notes: November 6th - USPS TO CANADA! guest checkout, faster leadtimes [message #78574 is a reply to message #78556 ] Sat, 09 November 2013 15:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
HappenstanceHeroes wrote on Sat, 09 November 2013 05:24

File this announcement under 'Christmas Miracle'! You guys are super great and I hope whoever did the most to facilitate this update gets a MILLION PROMOTIONS.

We'll be sure to share that sentiment with the team Smile

Thanks!

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Weekly Release Notes: November 6th - USPS TO CANADA! guest checkout, faster leadtimes [message #83843 is a reply to message #78574 ] Sun, 26 January 2014 00:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chromahands  is currently offline chromahands
Go to my shop
hi, canadian shapeways user here

first of all, thank you very much for offering USPS option for shipping to canada. this will for sure allow us creators to be more ambitious with our designs and create bigger projects without having to worry about getting dinged by UPS fees.

from my experience, any order that is higher than $20USD from shapeways (before any applicable discounts) will get dinged by UPS fees. maybe that will change abit now that the canadian dollar is starting to slip against the greenback

i know this is probably the craziest request, but is it possible to resurrect the UPS shipping option for orders to canada, and offer it together with the USPS option? UPS shipping costs less and will be good for small orders and its much faster to arrive as well, and will be useful for small orders or orders that couldn't wait

i'd say set USPS as the default shipping option to canada, and then let people select UPS option if they choose to

please considering this option, thank you

Follow on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/chromahands
Re: Weekly Release Notes: November 6th - USPS TO CANADA! guest checkout, faster leadtimes [message #84055 is a reply to message #78373 ] Wed, 29 January 2014 19:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GaryK  is currently offline GaryK
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey Everyone,

Here's some useful information regarding possible fees on Canadian orders shipping by USPS through Canada Post.

Canada Customs assesses taxes (GST/HST) on goods valued at $20 CAD or more.

This is not to be confused with "Brokerage" fees.

Taxes are generally about 5-15%, depending on the provincial destination

GST/HST rates per province can be found at the following link from the Canada Revenue Agency.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/rts-eng.html.

A $9.95 "Handling" fee is also added by Canada Post when an item is taxed by Customs.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus/news/announcements/c ustomsfee.jsf

I'm the guy in the know!
Re: Weekly Release Notes: November 6th - USPS TO CANADA! guest checkout, faster leadtimes [message #84089 is a reply to message #84055 ] Thu, 30 January 2014 03:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ppoz  is currently offline ppoz
Go to my shop
Thanks for the links, though based on my experience I don't anticipate paying any extra taxes or fees. Recently I had a laptop shipped to me from the US via USPS and no taxes or fees were levied by Canada Post. Nor did the person who mailed it to me say that the postage to Canada was higher than normal on their end. (I get a lot of packages from this person.) The package was even insured, so the customs agent would have known it was an expensive item inside the box. I *think* the customs fees are simply rolled into the postage cost at the point of origin, if there are any customs fees. Or perhaps I have just been really lucky all these years! :)

[Updated on: Thu, 30 January 2014 03:57 UTC]

Previous Topic:Weekly Release Notes: January 23rd - estimated delivery dates for all countries
Next Topic:Weekly Release Notes: January 29th - New Materials Pages, Improvements to continuous checking

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.