Home » Community » General Discussion » I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon3.gif  Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #77336 is a reply to message #76059 ] Tue, 22 October 2013 21:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar etyrnal  is currently offline etyrnal
Go to my shop
maybe there could be a system, and a couple of flags for a feedback loop...

Meaning, if, after a model is submitted to Sw, and they find it to be 'iffy', there could be a mechanism where a designer can acknowledge the limitation for the intent of seeing a test print to determine if it would be acceptable through an website acknowledgement form or tick-box. This would be indicated as a flag in the model's metadata (overide). Then once the print has been sent to the user, the user can verify the quality is acceptable through an website acknowledgement form or tick-box, and this "Designer-verified Successful Print + Satisfactory Quality" flag could go into that specific model version's meta-data, then for future prints, it could be "passed automatically" for printing.

There would be some obvious exceptions where Sw would override things that are OBVIOUS... but something along these lines can happen.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 October 2013 21:21 UTC]

Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #77369 is a reply to message #77336 ] Wed, 23 October 2013 13:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
etyrnal wrote on Tue, 22 October 2013 21:18

maybe there could be a system, and a couple of flags for a feedback loop...

Meaning, if, after a model is submitted to Sw, and they find it to be 'iffy', there could be a mechanism where a designer can acknowledge the limitation for the intent of seeing a test print to determine if it would be acceptable through an website acknowledgement form or tick-box. This would be indicated as a flag in the model's metadata (overide). Then once the print has been sent to the user, the user can verify the quality is acceptable through an website acknowledgement form or tick-box, and this "Designer-verified Successful Print + Satisfactory Quality" flag could go into that specific model version's meta-data, then for future prints, it could be "passed automatically" for printing.

There would be some obvious exceptions where Sw would override things that are OBVIOUS... but something along these lines can happen.

That is a good suggestion, but off topic for this thread. If you'd like to add that to the preventing rejections discussion, or post in the suggestions section that is fine (Do a search, your idea sounds familiar), but any further off topic discussions on this thread will be removed.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #78171 is a reply to message #77174 ] Mon, 04 November 2013 18:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PopeDesign  is currently offline PopeDesign
Go to my shop
MitchellJetten wrote on Mon, 21 October 2013 07:38

[url]https://www.shapeways.com/jobs[url]

Haha feel free to check out or Jobs page Very Happy
--

The design rules page should be updated, I agree on this.
However I think it does take some time to cover all these points on that page as the main issue is that none of the rules can actually be applied to every kind of structure.

Best case would of course be changing the minimum required thickness for FUD to 1mm because that will be ok for almost 90% of the models.
Though that won't be fair as we know that some models can easily be printed at 0.5mm

--

Now the models from Popedesign.
There are 2 issues here:

1. Shapeways didn't check the models correctly.
2. The model contains multiple shells which aren't attached to the rest of the model.

index.php?t=getfile&id=43300&private=0

As you can see here, the model contains out of 4 shells, 2 of them are below our minimum size of 12mm.
The models are currently in production, and this is where number 1 comes in, SW didn't check the models correctly.

Even though the model is currently being reprinted due to "Multiple shells", they still decided to reprint the model.
If they would have checked the model they would have seen that those parts aren't connected to the rest and thus will get missing.
This shouldn't have happened in the first place and i do apologize for this.

Our supply chain team will educate the people in New York this afternoon to make sure it won't happen again.

This said, I really hope that PopeDesign is able to make sure that parts are actually connected and not floating around Smile

Does this help a bit?

Actually the rejection letter I got only showed the air filter not being attached (circled upper left haft hand corner item) and never the other circled items. When the models were sold again when they were not supposed to be (winch Shapeways still cant explain how that happened), the corrected models had not been uploaded yet. The customer who bought the model that was not supposed to be for sale by order of Shapeways had contacted me and sent a copy of the email he got when the order was rejected. For some reason Shapeways thought he made the models because they instructed him on how to fix models.... Not sure how he could fix the models because he does not even have access to the models. But regardless. the images and requested fixes once again only showed the air filter as being a loose part and none of the other circled parts. More irony, I uploaded the fixed files right after these models were illegally sold. Even though it was the old models that failed, my new models where not allowed to be sold as soon as the illegal order failed even though it used the old model with a different file name....

-Jon Pope

Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #78173 is a reply to message #78171 ] Mon, 04 November 2013 18:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Quote:

Actually the rejection letter I got only showed the air filter not being attached

That is probably the old gripe of inspection stopping at first error instead of providing a complete list of problems. (The database/order confusions on the other hand would make me very nervous if I were in charge of running that beast Shocked )
Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #78205 is a reply to message #78171 ] Tue, 05 November 2013 07:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
PopeDesign wrote on Mon, 04 November 2013 18:15

The customer who bought the model that was not supposed to be for sale by order of Shapeways had contacted me and sent a copy of the email he got when the order was rejected. For some reason Shapeways thought he made the models because they instructed him on how to fix models.... Not sure how he could fix the models because he does not even have access to the models

Alright, that is just plain stupid and lack of investigation.
I'll have a look into that email and make sure the Agent involved will be educated Smile

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #78248 is a reply to message #78171 ] Tue, 05 November 2013 20:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ThomasEllison  is currently offline ThomasEllison
Go to all my models
I work here
" The customer who bought the model that was not supposed to be for sale by order of Shapeways had contacted me and sent a copy of the email he got when the order was rejected. For some reason Shapeways thought he made the models because they instructed him on how to fix models...."

This is actually my bad. A bit of my humanity showing. I simply grabbed the wrong chunk of information (buyer vs designer) when trying to reach out to Popedesign. Thanks to Mitchell for letting me know and holding me accountable for that one.

My apologies for the confusion on that. It is not a systematic issue. It was solely my mistake. A mistake I promise to work hard not to repeat. I assume I can have Popedesign and Mitchell hold me accountable on that.
Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #78277 is a reply to message #78248 ] Wed, 06 November 2013 05:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PopeDesign  is currently offline PopeDesign
Go to my shop
Thomas,

Apologies more then accepted and not even needed. I know your actions were of 100% good intentions. I know you've helped me out with other issues in the past and you've been nothing but 100% professional and have always promptly responded to all emails and quickly resolved any and all issues (please do take note of that Shapeways management). So I really hope you don't get in trouble as I'm not interested in nor do I want to get anyone in trouble. That's the last thing I want to see.

I just want to see consistency in model checks and rules. But as you can see by this thread, everything bad that could happen has happened to these two models from rejection of models that have printed a number of times to inconsistent model checks to orders that should have never happened and now models that are not allowed to be for sale even tough they have never been checked or rejected... None of that's good for Shapeways, myself and most importantly the customer. I don't think its human error nor do I think heads should roll. But obviously there are some serious flaws in the system. I'd just like to see them fixed.

Best regards,

-Jon

-Jon Pope

Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #78429 is a reply to message #76059 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 20:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Aww AmLach, that's nice to hear that Pete and Shapeways is such an inspiration to you
Smile Smile Smile

We have some good news coming for rejections too, feel free to read all about it in my post here

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #79566 is a reply to message #78429 ] Fri, 22 November 2013 11:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Neo  is currently offline Neo
Go to all my models
At this point I am done with Shapeways. I am sorry guys. It seems that no model I made before can be printed eventhough some have been printed up to 10 times before. Some errors I really do not get. For instance, minimum wall thickness for Sandstone is 2mm and I got a rejection for a wall that was 2.7 mm. This I really don't get. There are some more issues that I won't go into right now, but fact is that this service is too unreliable to be offering these printed objects to clients.. So my business here seems to be concluded for the most part. Unfortunately since the service used to be great...
Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #79594 is a reply to message #76059 ] Fri, 22 November 2013 18:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Neo, I'm not seeing any posts from you regarding your issues. Please feel free to reach out for help. We have a lot of helpful community members that can help you understand rejections, and work around them. Our community team also keeps an eye out and has direct communication with service to help resolve issues.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #79729 is a reply to message #79594 ] Mon, 25 November 2013 00:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
That's because I don't want to rely on forums because the back and forth posting takes way too much time. I'm a pretty busy guy and I want to utilize my scarce spare time for what I like to do, 3d modeling. I usually deal with the customers service and that used to be enough in the past. However since shapeways is using in house printing for the full color sandstone printing things have gotten worse.

These used to be printed just fine but I am worried to make reprints of them. The one on the left can't be printed anymore because it's only successful 65% of the time. I also had a print that was rejected because it was only successful 96% of the time. That last one I really didn't understand. How is 96% bad?

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m69/kaassoufle/804A3A9A-1319-4B79-8167-BD7DA7C28156-12115-00000B2DB6E741FB_zps412cbf1d.jpg

Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #79766 is a reply to message #76059 ] Mon, 25 November 2013 14:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Very awesome looking models. My guess on the one that is only successful 65% is the cape? And I'm requesting more info on the 96% successful model.

Re: I'm quickly loosing my faith in Shapeways [message #79770 is a reply to message #79766 ] Mon, 25 November 2013 14:25 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Oh I have to correct myself. It said 86%.. It wasn't an order I made myself. A client of mine does his own orders but the models are mine. It's a model called Imp.

And thank you for the compliment. Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2013 14:55 UTC]

Pages (2): [ «    1  2] 

Previous Topic:Invoice - Ship To Address
Next Topic:Trying to design miniatures, need help.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.