Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » General Discussion » Download and edit 2D to 3D model?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Download and edit 2D to 3D model? [message #78107] Mon, 04 November 2013 09:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
The 2D to 3D app allows downloads of the model. The file format used to be .STL, but now it is an .X3DB. When I google .X3DB, I don't find any programs that can open that filetype...what?!?

Is there a way to download an STL of the model so I can edit before re-uploading and ordering?

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: Download and edit 2D to 3D model? [message #78109 is a reply to message #78107 ] Mon, 04 November 2013 09:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ok, so I found that Netfabb can open .X3DB files and convert them to .STL.

Still would be nice to just download the .STL from Shapeways directly...

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: Download and edit 2D to 3D model? [message #78110 is a reply to message #78109 ] Mon, 04 November 2013 10:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
From what I remember, this was done to lower the size of the files.
I'll pass it along and ask if we can change it to STL.

Mitch

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Download and edit 2D to 3D model? [message #78111 is a reply to message #78110 ] Mon, 04 November 2013 10:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I appreciate it, Mitch!

Re: Download and edit 2D to 3D model? [message #78777 is a reply to message #78110 ] Tue, 12 November 2013 02:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ihobbs7  is currently offline ihobbs7
Go to my shop
Or at least make .stl format a choice when downloading. Thank you, I use it to create quick customized initials and it worked great when I could download
as .stl.

Previous Topic:Finding the minimum size of a model for all of it's details to be printed in a certain material
Next Topic:Customer Service email form was broken, you may need to re-send

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.