Home » Community » Work in progress » Making some noise with stainless
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Making some noise with stainless [message #7744] Thu, 12 November 2009 20:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
First I made a bell, which if all the restrictions for fusing and such with stainless that I have read are true should at least make a noise. Don't know if it'll ring, but I hope it will. Can't be too sure about that with my latest and greatest noise maker. I've drawn up a music box, and it is dimensioned to be stainless printable. But will it play music? I hope so. Won't know till I have $65 extra on hand. Unless someone else would like to test for me Very Happy
http://www.shapeways.com/model/64990/music_box_test.html
http://www.shapeways.com/model/65000/music_box_reel_test.htm l

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Making some noise with stainless [message #7807 is a reply to message #7744 ] Wed, 18 November 2009 23:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Michael,
I looked at your design and I think you would be disappointed with the sonic results if you actually were to print the "keys" or twangers as I call them. In order for them to resonate they need to be very thin and resilient. There is a reason traditional music boxes have used spring steel for this purpose for hundreds of years. Also instruments like a Kalimba (thumb piano) use hardened spring steel for the twangers.

If the keys were printed they would be fragile and subject to stress and/or fatigue cracking. And would also be very difficult to tune. Better idea would be to get some steel "music wire", Then print a support bracket with a row of small holes into which you could insert the music wire. You could also use flat spring steel strips for the twangers. A cheap substitute to experiment with are the strips of steel used for banding shipping crates.
This stuff is free, it is hard enough to be springy and you can cut it with a decent pair of tin snips.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 November 2009 23:58 UTC]

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Making some noise with stainless [message #7812 is a reply to message #7744 ] Thu, 19 November 2009 13:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I was going to try this out, see if I could get it to work using the machine shop at my work. If it's not possible with the printed stainless, then I have a music box at home that I can steal the pre-tuned music maker, and redesign the drum to work with it. My hope is for a personalized music player.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Making some noise with stainless [message #7930 is a reply to message #7812 ] Fri, 27 November 2009 20:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi Michael,

cool you are doing this project. This is something we have been thinking about also. I agree with Glen that it is best to get a tuned set of 'twangers' and print the drum.

What a cool creator, upload your tune and get a printed drum roll.

3D printed music box Shocked

best regards,
Peter

Previous Topic:Bracelet's back
Next Topic:INSANE WORLD!!!!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.