Home » Support » Suggestions » Suggestion for Shapeways
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Suggestion for Shapeways [message #77459] Thu, 24 October 2013 14:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar Arcathorn  is currently offline Arcathorn
Go to all my models
What if...you paid for a print check..say a five dollar fee to have your models gone over once before you place your big order. Just to be certain that the model won't run into issues when it is printed. The fee could be a qty of models to be checked.....that way shapeways gets some money to check the model before it goes into the production mode...and if theres a problem it can be worked out before you order six models and only get five and you have to redo the sixth....

And if you don't want to pay the fee then you just go through the system as it stands now....and run the risk your model will be denied....That way the community gets a check system...shapeways can get additional revenue to pay for the extra work..and everyone goes home happy

"Do or do not there is no try"-Yoda
Re: Suggestion for Shapeways [message #77488 is a reply to message #77459 ] Thu, 24 October 2013 16:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Easier: check everything before sending anything to the printers. If anything fails, give the option to cancel the full order.
Re: Suggestion for Shapeways [message #77490 is a reply to message #77488 ] Thu, 24 October 2013 16:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
stannum wrote on Thu, 24 October 2013 16:37

Easier: check everything before sending anything to the printers. If anything fails, give the option to cancel the full order.

While I generally agree, this option does not properly cover the situation where the model breaks DURING or AFTER printing.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Suggestion for Shapeways [message #77493 is a reply to message #77459 ] Thu, 24 October 2013 16:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Or with multiple materials in an order. You'd have to hold a model till all checks are performed and backlogs could make things messy.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Suggestion for Shapeways [message #77499 is a reply to message #77493 ] Thu, 24 October 2013 17:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FreeRangeBrain  is currently offline FreeRangeBrain
Go to my shop
Maybe a "submit for print" and a "submit for checking" differentiation? This would place the model in a different "production stream" so that it's not holding up a build tray, etc. A seperate evaluation service, you might say, for a fee.

I'm sure as the checkers get more accumulating experience they'll start to get a feel for what should be just fine, what probably won't make it through the process, and what may fall somewhere inbetween. I don't expect anyone could ever be 100% right 100% of the time, but I also don't think it has to be a yes/no evaluation either. "We suggest a test print to confirm" would be perfectly acceptable to me, perhaps including some estimated probability of failure and maybe some indication of the likely flaw(s).

Creativity - sometimes by the brute force method.
Re: Suggestion for Shapeways [message #77782 is a reply to message #77499 ] Tue, 29 October 2013 16:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Yeah thats precisely what I was suggesting...save there would be a fee for it....and yeah I know...a fee?! But I figured if there was a fee that would help them justify the man power and price and give us what we really want.

Re: Suggestion for Shapeways [message #77784 is a reply to message #77459 ] Tue, 29 October 2013 16:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
We're working on better automation, free of charge of course, that will give you a much more accurate feel of printability.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Suggestion for Shapeways [message #77861 is a reply to message #77784 ] Wed, 30 October 2013 14:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Yay I like free even better Smile

Re: Suggestion for Shapeways [message #77873 is a reply to message #77784 ] Wed, 30 October 2013 16:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TrainThingz  is currently offline TrainThingz
Go to my shop
Please tell me that the automated checks will indicate ALL the problems, not just bounce it at the first one.

My biggest irritation with SW is trying to print a piece and having it rejected multiple times, each time for something different that wasn't pointed out in previous checks. I could have fixed all the problems in a couple of hours if I'd known about them... instead, it took over two weeks. That's a terribly inefficient use of time, on both sides of the process.
Re: Suggestion for Shapeways [message #77904 is a reply to message #77873 ] Thu, 31 October 2013 01:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
ALSO please tell me that if the automated checker makes a mistake or points out something as an error that SHOULD be printable, we can e-mail customer service and have them check it themselves and approve it if needed.

I don't think I've EVER had a single stainless steel model that followed every guideline to the letter - it's much more loosey-goosey and sometimes-this-sometimes-that than, say, WSF.
Re: Suggestion for Shapeways [message #77922 is a reply to message #77904 ] Thu, 31 October 2013 08:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Quote:

An automated check will never make something unprintable.
It will only show you potential problematic areas and still allows you to make the order in that particular material.

Well if we would create a check for this, it will never stop you from ordering in that material,
It will more be like "hey we see that there is a potential problematic area on your model, you might want to have another look at this"

[Updated on: Thu, 31 October 2013 13:31 UTC]

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways

Previous Topic:More Extended Descriptions
Next Topic:Shop sections

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.