Home » Support » 3D Applications » Which app for wood grain?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Which app for wood grain? [message #77344] Wed, 23 October 2013 02:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar Turner  is currently offline Turner
Go to all my models
Hi all,

Just wondering-

I need to make a few objects with wood grain.

Of the recommended programs, will any allow me to either use a grayscale map (preferred) or sculpt the grain using a pattern brush?

Thanks

Andrew
Re: Which app for wood grain? [message #77372 is a reply to message #77344 ] Wed, 23 October 2013 14:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I know sculptris has a brush style tool, and in Blender you can use a texture map to modify the geometry. I haven't done the blender one in a while so don't know if I could produce it out of memory.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Which app for wood grain? [message #77373 is a reply to message #77372 ] Wed, 23 October 2013 14:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Turner  is currently offline Turner
Go to all my models
Thanks... I'll take a look at those tonight.
Re: Which app for wood grain? [message #77889 is a reply to message #77373 ] Wed, 30 October 2013 21:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar vileraisin  is currently offline vileraisin
Go to my shop
Most 3D software allows you to use a greyscale image as a displacement map. I use Maya myself and I know it's very easy to achieve this effect, I haven't dabbled with shading networks in a long while, but with a bit of luck there might even be a procedural texture specifically for woodgrain.

Try googling your 3D software of choice with "displacement map" behind it, I'm sure you'll find dozens of tutorials:
https://www.google.com/search?q=maya+displacement+map

Edit: Out of curiosity I looked up whether Maya indeed has a procedural texture for wood, and it does: https://www.google.com/search?q=maya+procedural+texture+wood +grain. Procedural textures have many benefits over a simple greyscale bitmap. I bet other 3D Software like 3ds Max have something similar.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 October 2013 21:22 UTC]

Previous Topic:Importing x3db into maya (or converting to .obj)?
Next Topic:Blender Rendering All Objects Solid Black - How To Resolve?