Home »  » Feature this!  » From Nature to Art.... By Way of the CT Scan
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
From Nature to Art.... By Way of the CT Scan [message #77376] Wed, 23 October 2013 15:17 UTC
avatar Camazine  is currently offline Camazine
Go to my shop
The basic idea of this project - to create sculptural objects that accurately reflect the complex structures of nature - has evolved as one of the passions of my life.  When I was a teenager, I spent much of my time collecting insects and assembling skeletons from dead animals that I found.   For me, these pursuits were a perfect marriage of my curiosity about nature and my interest in the visual arts.  I didn't want to just collect things and put them in jars of alcohol or formaldehyde.  I wanted to find a way to display their intricate beauty. 

For several decades I have used a camera and computer software programs to produce images for lectures, magazines, and textbooks.   With the advent of inexpensive 3D printing technology such as that offered here at Shapeways, I have started to apply these skills to create three dimensional objects.  The goal of my project is to create a collection of dozens of different sculptures of animal skulls -- in effect, a skeletal zoo.   Each sculpture will be based upon a CT scan taken from an actual specimen. 

I am launching this as a KICKSTARTER project today. I am hoping this will be an effective way to get the word out. I have dozens of CT scans to process and hope to print hundreds of skulls. Each skull takes me days to process from the CT scan, and I really cannot justify spending all the time unless I know that someone besides me thinks this is a great project.

Please check out my Kickstarter project here.

Shown here are the 3 prototype sculptures that I have printed at Shapeways. In addition to all the common animals we know and love, I have a series of Endangered Species I am working on, and even a CT scan of my own skull. I am super excited about this project.

And as an addendum to this notice, I would like to thank everyone at Shapeways who has been processing my models. I appreciate your patience. I have repeatedly uploaded models that are too thin to print and which get rejected over and over again. It it an extremely painstaking process to go through hundreds and hundreds of CT scan slices and selectively thicken an area on the inside of a skull, or to delete paper-thin internal structures that don't need to be part of the print.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 October 2013 15:31 UTC]

Previous Topic:Halloween Themed Shadow Tealights
Next Topic:3D Printed Chinese Abacus.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.