Home » Community » General Discussion » Young's Modulus
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Young's Modulus [message #77375] Wed, 23 October 2013 15:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar zavierich  is currently offline zavierich
Go to all my models
Hello all,

I have been looking into using the elasto-plastic as a medium for some new modeling that involves printing some tubing. Has there been testing done on the elasto-plastic to find the Young's modulus yet?

Best Regards,

Dr. Wyman

Re: Young's Modulus [message #77386 is a reply to message #77375 ] Wed, 23 October 2013 17:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Used to be that there was a data sheet for materials that included tensile strenght etc, but it seems that is was missed for elasto plastic - it maight be worthwhile emailing Shapeways materials manager Gabe for more info.

As for your intended prupose for the final 'tubes', any cluse might help others assess the practicability of the material. afaik, the material is not air or water tight, so air muscles are out of the question Sad

Paul
Re: Young's Modulus [message #77392 is a reply to message #77375 ] Wed, 23 October 2013 18:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Assuming that it is a regular EOS-supplied material, I am guessing that it is their PA-11/PA1101 for which the EOS materials database lists
a tensile modulus of 1600 MPa (or 232000 psi) vs. the 1700 MPa value of PA2200 (WSF). So no "rubber-like" flexibility, but it bends somewhat reluctantly where WSF would snap. Parts have much the same sintered appearance as WSF, so probably not watertight.
(I think someone prototyped an "air muscle" in a "what are you modeling with the new elasto" thread a few pages back in this forum,
but IIRC the material was much too rigid)
Re: Young's Modulus [message #77393 is a reply to message #77392 ] Wed, 23 October 2013 18:07 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
I asked sometime ago if the material would be suitable for a air muscle, but was told no due to porosity plus the fact that the minimum wall thickness is absurd for such a used.

Paul

Previous Topic:I've been approached to sell my files....
Next Topic:How good is FUD? Micro pictures