Home » Community » It arrived! » Abstraction of Life Gauged Earrings
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Abstraction of Life Gauged Earrings [message #77168] Mon, 21 October 2013 02:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar DesignbyDalton  is currently offline DesignbyDalton
Go to my shop
Printed my earrings in both Black Detail and Stainless Steel. Came out looking stunning in Stainless, enjoy.
index.php?t=getfile&id=43290&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=43291&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=43292&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=43293&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=43294&private=0

Re: Abstraction of Life Gauged Earrings [message #77191 is a reply to message #77168 ] Mon, 21 October 2013 13:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Please note that our prints are meant for decorative purposes. And especially with our detail prints, extended skin contact is not recommended.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Abstraction of Life Gauged Earrings [message #77192 is a reply to message #77191 ] Mon, 21 October 2013 13:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the heads up on that, I wore the black detail version for months and it never bothered me a bit. But I know some people have skin allergies to acrylic based plastics. I do have a question for you though. I read on shape ways somewhere that the steel you used was meant for being bio compatible. I can't really verify that info as i have no clue where I read it at and who typed it, think you can tell me the real deal?

I am always open for commission, if you like my work and want something unique to you, somthing no one else can have but you, drop me a PM and we can talk.
Re: Abstraction of Life Gauged Earrings [message #77195 is a reply to message #77192 ] Mon, 21 October 2013 14:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Maybe it was something like this post.

The ss does not seem to be hypoallergenic, which apparently is what you need.
Re: Abstraction of Life Gauged Earrings [message #77199 is a reply to message #77168 ] Mon, 21 October 2013 14:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
The stainless is a stainless bead with bronze infused to bond it, so if you are not allergic to either of those than you shouldn't have a reaction to the metal itself. The process is not certified for being food safe, not sure if there is a certification for ear gauges, but the process can leave microscopic voids for bacteria, and the bronze can oxidize (rust).

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Abstraction of Life Gauged Earrings [message #77202 is a reply to message #77199 ] Mon, 21 October 2013 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for that, I'll make sure that my customers are well informed on the risks of the different materials.

I am always open for commission, if you like my work and want something unique to you, somthing no one else can have but you, drop me a PM and we can talk.
Re: Abstraction of Life Gauged Earrings [message #77204 is a reply to message #77168 ] Mon, 21 October 2013 14:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
You may want to check through our post production section. Finding a "certified" coating is not easy. I think Gorilla Glue is FDA? But For any of the plastic prints I'd seal with something before skin contact. I have a dyed Nylon piece that I used spray lacquer on. It's part of a coffee brewer, and it often has coffee run down it, and the lacquer has prevented the coffee from penetrating the piece to discolor it. Also makes it shiny and pretty.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Abstraction of Life Gauged Earrings [message #77236 is a reply to message #77204 ] Mon, 21 October 2013 19:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Mon, 21 October 2013 14:37

You may want to check through our post production section. Finding a "certified" coating is not easy. I think Gorilla Glue is FDA? But For any of the plastic prints I'd seal with something before skin contact. I have a dyed Nylon piece that I used spray lacquer on. It's part of a coffee brewer, and it often has coffee run down it, and the lacquer has prevented the coffee from penetrating the piece to discolor it. Also makes it shiny and pretty.

I did that to my nylon print too (I attached the image if you want to look but I'll make a real post for it when I print it in another mat or two). There's no way I would have put nylon in my ear w/o a coating, that's beggin to get stinky at the least. I used polyurethane on mine but that design was a standard earring, not direct skin contact. It actually added quite a bit of strength to the model but also less flex. I will definitely be doing some research on this as I move forward. The nylon is so much cheaper for some larger designs it would be nice to have it as an option if I can get a good coating.

*side note...way off topic...kinda, I got my start in jewelry doing wood work. I've moved through so many mediums that materials just fascinate me now. It's really hard for me not to want to try them all even if I know its not perfect haha. Here's a little list of materials I've made earring prototypes out of. Cherry wood, Maple, Olive, Walnut, Springbok Horn, Ox Horn and bone (I want to use teeth and porcupine quills soon). When I worked in wood i prevented decay with mineral oil, I used a pair for 2 years made out of cherry wood and it never even changed color, just like a cutting board. When the material was un-wearable because it could have been a skin irritant I built in a steel sleeve that was a sort of barrier between your ear and the wood/horn/bone. It was a perfect way for me to keep exploring and dodge issues like this. Some day I'm gonna have 3D printing clash with the other skills I have acquired along the way, half wood half 3D would me an incredible style that I feel I would fall right in love with. Well thats enough blabbering....thanks so much for the inspiration to improve my product just now. Really made my mind go farther than I expected.

Re: Abstraction of Life Gauged Earrings [message #77237 is a reply to message #77168 ] Mon, 21 October 2013 19:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Those ear rings look good. I look forward to seeing some 3D prints mixed with wood! Just an idea, maybe a piece that you can grow a branch through. Really get it intertwined in there as the branch grows into it.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Abstraction of Life Gauged Earrings [message #77241 is a reply to message #77237 ] Mon, 21 October 2013 19:50 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Oh cool thought, bonsai on a different level. I'll will be think about this one all day lol.

Previous Topic:First print and very pleased... :)
Next Topic:Shift Cube by OSKAR