Home »  » 3D Applications » ViaCAD Pro WIP Invite (Mac/PC)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
ViaCAD Pro WIP Invite (Mac/PC) [message #76938] Thu, 17 October 2013 16:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar evosoft  is currently offline evosoft
Go to all my models
Hi All

I'm one of the developers working on ViaCAD Pro 9 for PC and Mac. This is a low cost curve/surface/solid modeler based on the Dassault/ACIS modeling kernel which exports a variety of file formats including STL.

In V9, I've added subdivision modeling along side the existing feature based modeling tools. I'm excited about how easy you can make rather complex models with subdivision. I'm looking for some feedback regarding the new tools, especially relative to 3D printing.

I've made a video showing how you can create a spoon from push/pulling a block and then uploading an STL file to Shapeways for printing. I have a Gold Plated Glossy and White Strong version of the spoon en route, can't wait to see them.
Concept Spoon to Shapeways Video

If you are interested in downloading a fully functional WIP build I'd appreciate some feedback regarding how useful/practical the new features are for creating shapes for 3D printing. Plus what other kinds of tools you might need.

Download : http://www.punchcadlabs.com/page7/page7.php

For making STL meshes using traditional feature based modeling tools with ViaCAD, you can find a tutorial right here at the Shapeways site:
tutorial.

I'll be monitoring this thread if anyone has questions or feedback.

Thank you!

Tim

Tim Olson
CAD Developer
Evolution Software
Re: ViaCAD Pro WIP Invite (Mac/PC) [message #76998 is a reply to message #76938 ] Fri, 18 October 2013 14:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TrainThingz  is currently offline TrainThingz
Go to my shop
As a relative noob to 3D modeling I don't know that I'll have much to add to the finer details of the program, but I can bring a perspective that perhaps more experienced users can't simply because I AM new (My previous graphic arts tools being GIMP and SketchUp)... and, as a teacher, I do have some suggestions already about the tutorials. ( I should probably mention I studied drafting in HS back when I thought I was going to be an engineer... one of the last generation to learn 6H pencil, ink, and vellum...)

1) I think it would help if the tutorial videos were just a LITTLE bit slower-paced. I'm finding myself scrambling to keep up, and constantly having to play the video in 10-15 second segments so that I can follow along. A slower pace would allow me to work alongside them without it being necessary to pause it between every single operation. I know it's boring for the person making the video... but anyone that NEEDS the tutorial is by definition not going to be as fluent in the program as the demonstrator!

2) The volume of the narration varies widely from video to video. It's a minor annoyance, I know, but it IS an annoyance to have to keep adjusting the volume to get it where I want it.

3) The videos don't have an ending... they just stop without any kind of indication that it's over. A "fade to black" with perhaps text saying "Up next: Simple Editing." or a voice comment at the end "That's all for this segment, the next tutorial is..." would help. Bonus points for actually telling which tutorial file to load next at the end of the previous one...

4) Everything that I've seen so far references a mouse as an input device. My Wacom Bamboo tablet works perfectly well so far, so you might want to mention that as well, particularly since ViaCAD is aimed at the consumer market. Pros expect that, but beginners might not know it's an option.

More comments as I get deeper into this - I'm going through all the tutorials right now, but so far I like the software VERY much. I'm running it on a 27" iMac, but I think I'm going to DL it to try on my PC laptop too.

Oh, and one more thing....another minor bit on the tutorials...

How about prefacing the file names with numbers... for example...
tut_01_Userinterface.vc3 or pdf.... that way they'll be in the right sequence in the file listing? The way it is now, the first tutorial files are at the very bottom of the list, and there's no obvious order to them.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 October 2013 15:21 UTC]

Re: ViaCAD Pro WIP Invite (Mac/PC) [message #77090 is a reply to message #76998 ] Sat, 19 October 2013 20:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar evosoft  is currently offline evosoft
Go to all my models
Many thanks for the feedback. This is very helpful and I will share with the guys who make the training material.

>>when I thought I was going to be an engineer... one of the last generation to learn 6H pencil, ink, and vellum...)

Smile I thought I was going to be an astronaut, ended up being an aerospace engineer who loved computers. My first job at Lockheed they tasked me with creating a CAD system to convert the designers over from pencil, ink, and vellum. Been addicted to CAD development ever since.

>>My Wacom Bamboo tablet works perfectly well so far,
That's great to know. I need to get one of those for my development testing.

Thanks again,

Tim

Previous Topic:Wrong Size
Next Topic:Spore Creatures, newbie needs help, please.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.