Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Custom Threaded Rod
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon7.gif  Custom Threaded Rod [message #76827] Wed, 16 October 2013 03:58 UTC Go to next message
avatar amarz  is currently offline amarz
Go to all my models
Hi,

I seek a designer who wants to co-design a custom threaded rod. The designer would create a model of a threaded rod, 8mm in diameter, with a 1.0 pitch, about three feet long. We would then ask shapeways to print the rod in stainless steel. The rod would be used as a component of a MendelMax RepRap 3D printer. If you are interested, let me know. It will be a fun project because of technical challenges in the design and printing.

Thanks,
Amar
Re: Custom Threaded Rod [message #76847 is a reply to message #76827 ] Wed, 16 October 2013 11:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns is currently online AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Is this not something you can buy from a hardware store?
Re: Custom Threaded Rod [message #76887 is a reply to message #76827 ] Wed, 16 October 2013 18:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FreeRangeBrain  is currently offline FreeRangeBrain
Go to my shop
You're asking for an extremely expensive, low quality part with questionable engineering material properties that will almost never come out with tight enough tolerances to function as desired. It's something like making a 1" wooden dowel with a chainsaw and barn wood. You can, but you shouldn't.

Creativity - sometimes by the brute force method.
Re: Custom Threaded Rod [message #76933 is a reply to message #76827 ] Thu, 17 October 2013 14:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar IncredibleMiniatures  is currently offline IncredibleMiniatures
Go to my shop
For a 1.0 mm pitch, you would need a minimum feature size (engraved detail / embossed detail) specification of 0.5 mm or preferably even smaller.

The ShapeWays specifications for Stainless Steel are:

Quote:

Min Embossed Detail: 1.0mm
Min Engraved Detail: 1.0mm

In other words, 1.0 pitch won't work.

Previous Topic:Looking to hire someone to design and print for me
Next Topic:NEEDING 1/64 SCALE 2014 GMC SIERRA PICKUP TRUCKS DESIGNED FOR 3D PRINTING

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.