Home » Support » Suggestions » Why there are no ALUMENIUM Printing on Shapeways?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  Why there are no ALUMENIUM Printing on Shapeways? [message #76342] Tue, 08 October 2013 08:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar Abbasi_3D_Services  is currently offline Abbasi_3D_Services
Go to my shop
Hi every body,

i hade to print with silver, because there are no alumenium in the material list!

Why?

It is very important for my applications

Best regards, Mohsen Abbasi - www.mabbasi.de
Re: Why there are no ALUMENIUM Printing on Shapeways? [message #76355 is a reply to message #76342 ] Tue, 08 October 2013 14:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
We are working to add more materials, especially those our community wants. I've moved this to suggestions so others can express their want for Aluminum if they'd like.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Why there are no ALUMENIUM Printing on Shapeways? [message #76377 is a reply to message #76355 ] Tue, 08 October 2013 17:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Nice. Aluminium is important for some applications.

Re: Why there are no ALUMENIUM Printing on Shapeways? [message #76384 is a reply to message #76377 ] Tue, 08 October 2013 19:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TrainThingz  is currently offline TrainThingz
Go to my shop
Frankly, I don't see widespread aluminum fabricating for consumers happening any time soon. I suspect the best we're going to have for a while is the alumide.

Aluminum is a difficult material to form in the way a 3D printer needs to do it. It's easy to cast, and simple to forge, bend, or cut, but difficult to melt with precision or weld, and incredibly dangerous as a fine powder... as in highly explosive and burns very hot. It's one of the components of Thermite, after all. There are outfits that do it with a process called "Direct Metal Laser Sintering", but it's an industrial-grade process with industrial-grade costs.

Yes, it can be done... but you'll probably find it's going to be nearly as expensive as the silver when all is said and done, if for no other reason than the safety precautions that will be necessary.

Re: Why there are no ALUMENIUM Printing on Shapeways? [message #76421 is a reply to message #76384 ] Wed, 09 October 2013 06:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
I have recently noticed that ExOne (the company behind shapeways "stainless") also produces machinery that prints forms for sand casting.
Still "nearly as expensive as the silver" is probably a good estimate..
Re: Why there are no ALUMENIUM Printing on Shapeways? [message #76423 is a reply to message #76421 ] Wed, 09 October 2013 07:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
If aluminum as expensive as silver, then you can also take silver.

I'll try silver. I'm waiting for a part that I print with silver.

Re: Why there are no ALUMENIUM Printing on Shapeways? [message #76441 is a reply to message #76342 ] Wed, 09 October 2013 14:26 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I missed it at Maker Faire, but the Vader is a project to print in Aluminum http://3dprinterplans.info/vader-systems-developing-molten-m etal-3d-printer/

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Changing your username
Next Topic:Changing/correcting your store name.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.