Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » micro shot peening...micro blasting?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
micro shot peening...micro blasting? [message #7357] Mon, 19 October 2009 18:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar odd  is currently offline odd
Go to all my models

Hi All,

Just curious if any of you have had your model blasted using one of those micro blasters that dentists use?

..or tried out micro shot peening?

I'm currently looking into finding someone who can do this for a reasonable cost.

Any hints or ideas - please do let me know!! Smile

I'll post if I find a good solution...
//O.
Re: micro shot peening...micro blasting? [message #7630 is a reply to message #7357 ] Thu, 05 November 2009 19:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
Hi Odd,
Why don't you ask your dentist! Some jewelry makers might have this sort of thing as well. Also, people that rebuild engines or precision instruments often use this kind of thing. Glass beads produce a satin matte finish, Zircon beads produce a somewhat brighter, shinier finish but this blast media is not as common as glass beads.

If you have more than just a few parts to finish those small hand held bead blasters are not that expensive. Of course you need an air compressor to go with it. I have a unit called an "air eraser" it is made by the Paasche airbrush company, it costs around $80. U.S. A small, home use, paint compressor is sufficient and these can be found for $100-$125. US. Check out flea markets and garage sale and save money.

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: micro shot peening...micro blasting? [message #7932 is a reply to message #7630 ] Fri, 27 November 2009 22:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar odd  is currently offline odd
Go to all my models
Hi Glen,

Many thanks for the feedback and ideas! Smile

You're right, I need to get the tools and just have a go at it. Currently I'm bidding on a compressor...and looking for a used dental blasting unit...

Ive also found that most dentistry labs arent allowed to sandblast anything that isnt approved by industry guidelines. However, after a bit of investigation I did find a guy that might do it Wink wellsee once I get my first models made.

Ive also been looking into building a tumbler to see if that would work.

I'll post any progress here Smile

(oh and sorry for the late reply - forgot to set post notification)

cheers
//O.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 November 2009 22:01 UTC]

Previous Topic:Soldering Stainless Steel
Next Topic:painting white detail + black detail model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.