Home » Community » General Discussion » Using inventor to create a STL
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Using inventor to create a STL [message #74297] Thu, 05 September 2013 19:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar Arcathorn  is currently offline Arcathorn
Go to all my models
Greetings all!

This is my first time trying to create a model to be printed out. I have used inventor for years and figured this would be something I would enjoy a lot. However on my first try I am running into a problem. I used inventor to create a model that measures at 4.5 inches. I then uploaded it to the site and it came back at a whopping 11.5 inches in size...you can imagine the cost increase there. I can't seem to get it to upload at the correct size and I have not been able to figure it out. Does anyone have any hints?
Re: Using inventor to create a STL [message #74300 is a reply to message #74297 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 19:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
What file type are you uploading?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Using inventor to create a STL [message #74303 is a reply to message #74297 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 19:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GarySG  is currently offline GarySG
Go to my shop
The problem you're likely encountering is when you export an STL from Inventor, the default unit is centimeters. Go into the settings as you're exporting it, and change that to inches. You should be set to go.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 September 2013 20:09 UTC]

"Hm, I'm so hungry I could eat an entire cow. Gerard, fire up the printer!"
Re: Using inventor to create a STL [message #74341 is a reply to message #74303 ] Fri, 06 September 2013 14:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Arcathorn  is currently offline Arcathorn
Go to all my models
Fixed it! As you guess the problem was in the conversion. I just had to go down to options as I was saving it and set the correct units. Once that was done presto. Thank you for all your help...........ya know this really is quite fun to play around with....Might be something I get more into as time goes on. Thanks again everyone

"Do or do not there is no try"-Yoda
Re: Using inventor to create a STL [message #76058 is a reply to message #74341 ] Fri, 04 October 2013 00:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar builder_bob  is currently offline builder_bob
Go to my shop
I'm haveing the same problem you had, how'd you get to the spot where you can change the export units?
Re: Using inventor to create a STL [message #76061 is a reply to message #76058 ] Fri, 04 October 2013 00:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar builder_bob  is currently offline builder_bob
Go to my shop
never mind i got it!

Previous Topic:The world's craziest toothbrush cleans your teeth in six seconds and is 3D printed
Next Topic:IP Addresses in Private Messages?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.