Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Fiberglass Mold from Printed Object
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Fiberglass Mold from Printed Object [message #72560] Fri, 02 August 2013 15:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar olipip  is currently offline olipip
Go to all my models
Need to know which printed material might be able to be sanded/finished smooth with release agent for pulling fiberglass mold off of and or a material that might have release properties with fiberglass.
Re: Fiberglass Mold from Printed Object [message #75981 is a reply to message #72560 ] Wed, 02 October 2013 19:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar boathead  is currently offline boathead
Go to my shop
I'd also like to know a recommended material for patterns for making hard fiberglass molds.

Ideally, it should be watertight or sealable with paint, and stable at temperatures up to 160 degrees F.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Fiberglass Mold from Printed Object Mold release. [message #75982 is a reply to message #75981 ] Wed, 02 October 2013 19:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar boathead  is currently offline boathead
Go to my shop
For mold release, Silicone Cooking Spray will to the trick for the DIY project.

For a production type situation, contact Zyvax and look at their product line.
Re: Fiberglass Mold from Printed Object [message #75984 is a reply to message #72560 ] Wed, 02 October 2013 20:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar FreeRangeBrain  is currently offline FreeRangeBrain
Go to my shop
That all kinda depends on the nature of the model, level of detail, etc. Strong & Flexible and Alumide are porous and would require sealing. Stainless and unpolished versions of brass and silver have significant surface texture for moulding. I highly recommend browsing through the "Shop" tab, taking special note of the materials' finishes, as well as the "Material Portfolio" for design limitations.

Creativity - sometimes by the brute force method.

Previous Topic:Why does stainless steel not look like the stainless steel my IKEA knives and forks are made of?
Next Topic:Stainless Steel Tapping Best Practices