Home » Support » 3D Applications » making hollow
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
making hollow [message #75357] Tue, 24 September 2013 11:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar snelrenner  is currently offline snelrenner
Go to all my models
I made my solidworks 3d model hollow but when I upload it to shapeways in .stl it's not hollow at all. In solidworks i can see its hollow also the mass properties changed. so what can I do to upload the hollow model to shapeways? thanks
Re: making hollow [message #75364 is a reply to message #75357 ] Tue, 24 September 2013 12:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Make sure that your hollow model contains at least one "escape hole" or tunnel that allows removal of the support material from the inner volume after printing. Without it, the model will be treated as solid, as it is actually "using" the additional material.
If that is not the problem, check your STL file with (free) netfabb studio basic - it could be that the mesh that you exported from solidworks is not closed (or closed with misoriented triangles). Or it might even be just an open "skin" with no thickness to it - the automated "mesh medic" software that runs during the upload will try to fix these cases, but may patch the entire opening.
Re: making hollow [message #75382 is a reply to message #75364 ] Tue, 24 September 2013 15:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks, the opening did work. only strange thing is the model is now €6 more expensive ( in plastic) in stainless steel it is a lot cheaper. the model is a little over 30g ligther. shouldn't the platic print be cheaper? The volume is less than before after uploading. Thanks again
Re: making hollow [message #75383 is a reply to message #75382 ] Tue, 24 September 2013 16:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
What volume is your model?

How do you know it is 30g lighter?
Re: making hollow [message #75384 is a reply to message #75382 ] Tue, 24 September 2013 16:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Pricing of the white strong&flexible plastic is more complex than that of the others - there is a discount on "bigger" models
that only applies as long as the object is above a certain density - probably your model is now too sparse. You could try to game the system by leaving some reinforcing wall or rod within the object.
Re: making hollow [message #75386 is a reply to message #75383 ] Tue, 24 September 2013 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
the volume was 104.1554cm3 and is now 66.2125cm3. the solidworks mass properties so it's about 30g ligther (set on abs platic)
Re: making hollow [message #75413 is a reply to message #75382 ] Tue, 24 September 2013 20:34 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Quote:

Thanks, the opening did work. only strange thing is the model is now €6 more expensive ( in plastic) in stainless steel it is a lot cheaper. the model is a little over 30g ligther. shouldn't the platic print be cheaper? The volume is less than before after uploading. Thanks again

Sorry, I understood that you meant that the SS print was cheaper than the wsf one. Which is obviously not the case.

Mkroeker is correct, that by changing the density of your model the price can go up. From the Material Overview for wsf:

'We also offer a volume and density discount on Strong & Flexible materials. For models that have greater than 10% density (material volume divided by bounding box volume), volume above the first 20cm3 is calculated with a 50% discount.'

Previous Topic:Zbrush Material and Shapeways Material
Next Topic:Maya - custom scripts - more maya users?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.