Home »  » Post Production Techniques » Soldering Stainless Steel
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Soldering Stainless Steel [message #7481] Mon, 26 October 2009 13:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar jongold  is currently offline jongold
Go to my shop
So I've printed a shaving brush handle with a 5mm hole to let support material out, and I was wondering if the stainless steel material takes well to soldering. I want to fill the hole, but I don't want to melt the handle. I was thinking of folding up a small copper wire, and shoving it in the hole, and soldering over that. Am I asking for trouble?index.php?t=getfile&id=1680&private=0

• Attachment: NewBrush.jpg
    (Size: 36.58KB, Downloaded 497 time(s))

Re: Soldering Stainless Steel [message #7538 is a reply to message #7481 ] Fri, 30 October 2009 12:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
You can solder this material quite easily with any variety of hard or soft alloys.
Sounds like you are attempting to close up a hollow shell and create a gas tight seal?
Just so you know, this can be extremely difficult to accomplish. When the air inside the metal part heats up and cools down this tends to blow the solder out of the way before it chills. Sometimes the hole looks tight but in fact it will have porosity and will actually suck in moisture. This can be an extremely frustrating task. Unless you have very good soldering skills I would suggest sealing the hole with an epoxy putty.

-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Soldering Stainless Steel [message #7606 is a reply to message #7538 ] Wed, 04 November 2009 14:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jongold  is currently offline jongold
Go to my shop
I'm installing the badger hair knot with devcon 2 ton clear epoxy. Will this seal the hole for me, or should I still try to seal it with a putty or some solder.

PS. I have lots of experience soldering electronics as well as jewelry.
Re: Soldering Stainless Steel [message #7628 is a reply to message #7606 ] Thu, 05 November 2009 19:03 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
try the solder, if you can't get it airtight, go with the epoxy. You can add a thickening agent to the devcon and make your own putty. Chalk dust, or other powdered materials work well for this. Epoxy metal putties like 'liquid steel" just contain finely powdered metal.

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:Cutting out shapes
Next Topic:micro shot peening...micro blasting?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.