Home » Support » Suggestions » Feasibility checks and order processing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Feasibility checks and order processing [message #71756] Wed, 17 July 2013 19:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar instrumaker  is currently offline instrumaker
Go to my shop
Request: During checkout, a radio button that allows automatic order cancellation If one object turns out to be unfeasible and requires revisions.
This would prevent a partial order going through, thereby saving me from paying to ship an item later that didn't pass the first time around.

An alternative would be a system that allows you to put your order on hold until you can fix your part.
Re: Feasibility checks and order processing [message #71796 is a reply to message #71756 ] Thu, 18 July 2013 13:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks instrumaker! I've added it to our suggestions list.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Feasibility checks and order processing [message #74667 is a reply to message #71796 ] Thu, 12 September 2013 13:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Arcathorn  is currently offline Arcathorn
Go to all my models
Yeah I would second this statement. Some type of checker before processing orders and having credit cards run...Its quite annoying to get it all billed out and then only find out it can't be created in the first place. I know its all done manually by people but this would be something I think most people assume when there model uploads for the first time. Getting it billed out and then only find out its not doable is quite annoying.

"Do or do not there is no try"-Yoda
Re: Feasibility checks and order processing [message #74671 is a reply to message #71756 ] Thu, 12 September 2013 14:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
In my experience, the last couple times I've had an item fail, some of the other items have already been in production. When you get the rejection email, you can request that your entire order be canceled. If items are already in production you can request to have the shipping refunded with the refund for the unprintable pieces. That would be the situation that the check box won't work.

Currently we are unable to modify existing order, which would really come in handy for fixing a problem item.

Another "solution" that has been tossed around is combining orders. So if part of your order is rejected, you could modify the pieces, reorder them, and combine them with your previous partial order to not pay shipping twice. This option also is currently not possible, but in our thoughts for the future.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Feasibility checks and order processing [message #74674 is a reply to message #71756 ] Thu, 12 September 2013 16:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MrNib  is currently offline MrNib
Go to my shop
Sometimes I get two boxes on the same day. If you could at least combine shipments going to the same address within a few days, and possibly credit some of the shipping savings that would also be a nice thing.
Re: Feasibility checks and order processing [message #74714 is a reply to message #71756 ] Fri, 13 September 2013 05:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
On a related note to my previous post...

My girlfriend noticed that your shipping boxes are manufactured in Plainfield IL., implying that they are shipped from Illinois to New York which she claims is rather expensive, and that there should be much closer alternate sources that would save Shapeways some $$$. She works in the cardboard business and noted that these companies often have facilities located around the country specifically to reduce those shipping costs for their customers. I'm thinking the savings may only be significant for companies that use lots of boxes, like Proctor & Gamble, etc. But then again Shapeways must go through a lot of boxes every month!
Re: Feasibility checks and order processing [message #74720 is a reply to message #74714 ] Fri, 13 September 2013 07:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
You never know - maybe the Plainfield factory is producing more boxes than they can sell locally, so selling them cheaper especially in return for a long-term contract. Trucking things around can be quite cheap at least if you look at the cost per item. (These are lightweight items, and lots of them - flat, of course, will fit in a regular semitrailer or boxcar.) Finding out where the "more local" factories get their corrugated cardboard and/or paper from might also yield surprising results for similar reasons. Smile

PS: Combining shipments would imply putting the earlier batch on hold, requiring more storage and more administrative resources to keep track of them.
Re: Feasibility checks and order processing [message #74725 is a reply to message #74720 ] Fri, 13 September 2013 09:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns is currently online AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

PS: Combining shipments would imply putting the earlier batch on hold, requiring more storage and more administrative resources to keep track of them.
Correct, but as has been noted in previous threads since SW collates prints from several different locations/sub-contractors only shipping when the entire order is complete, some if not all of this capability already exists.
Re: Feasibility checks and order processing [message #74745 is a reply to message #74720 ] Fri, 13 September 2013 16:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
mkroeker wrote on Fri, 13 September 2013 07:09

You never know - maybe the Plainfield factory is producing more boxes than they can sell locally, so selling them cheaper especially in return for a long-term contract. Trucking things around can be quite cheap at least if you look at the cost per item. (These are lightweight items, and lots of them - flat, of course, will fit in a regular semitrailer or boxcar.) Finding out where the "more local" factories get their corrugated cardboard and/or paper from might also yield surprising results for similar reasons. Smile

My girlfriend lessons have also included the fact that not only do these companies have multiple facilities to convert the cardboard and corrugated stock into boxes and stuff with printing but they also have paper mills located in various parts of the country to supply stock material for the other facilities. Maybe Shapeways got the best bid for their boxes, maybe not. Perhaps their long term contracts for boxes will soon no longer make sense with growth of the company, maybe not. I don't know. She says transporting cardboard in bulk over long distance is expensive, particularly because a very large component of such a shipment is often air. I can only relate what my girlfriend noted, and as I have learned over time she is always correct!

[Updated on: Sat, 14 September 2013 17:11 UTC]

Re: Feasibility checks and order processing [message #74859 is a reply to message #74745 ] Mon, 16 September 2013 10:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I'm sure we've done some good negotiating with multiple vendors when sourcing these boxes, don't worry about it Smile

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Feasibility checks and order processing [message #74871 is a reply to message #74859 ] Mon, 16 September 2013 16:12 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I had to convey the girlfriend information or suffer the consequences. That's what I worry about! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

In the news today (aka there's a lot of money in cardboard...)

Quote:

LAKE FOREST, ILL. — Packaging Corp. of America is buying Boise Inc. for about $1.27 billion, acquiring additional containerboard needed to support its growth.

Shareholders of Boise Inc., the Boise-based maker of packaging and paper products, are being offered a 26 percent premium to their stock price on Friday. Shares of the company jumped in premarket trading on Monday.

If the deal is completed, Packaging Corp.'s containerboard capacity will rise to 3.7 million tons from 2.6 million tons. Its corrugated products volume will increase about 30 percent. The company will also broaden its geographic reach to the Pacific Northwest.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/09/16/2763619/packaging-c orp-buying-boise-for.html

Previous Topic:Some time a model rejected for no real reason...
Next Topic:All orders on one page - kinda silly

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.