Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » Buying » Using Walmart/Target Debit card.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Using Walmart/Target Debit card. [message #74526] Tue, 10 September 2013 20:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar ShadowStorm93  is currently offline ShadowStorm93
Go to all my models
Hello,

I went out and purchased a Target Debit Gift card by VISA, I noticed that I was unable to select it as a payment option.

The transaction log would pop up the order #, but the total cost is $0.00 or canceled.

Does Shapeways accept Debit Gift Card? Or just credit cards?

Is there a way that I could use the debit gift card as credit card for Shapeways?

It worked with other websites other than Shapeways (Amazon, Google, etc).

Thanks
Re: Using Walmart/Target Debit card. [message #74551 is a reply to message #74526 ] Wed, 11 September 2013 08:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
HI ShadowStorm93,

I'm not 100% sure, so I've asked our financial team to come over and answer this question for you.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Using Walmart/Target Debit card. [message #74746 is a reply to message #74551 ] Fri, 13 September 2013 17:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ShadowStorm93  is currently offline ShadowStorm93
Go to all my models
Any updates so far? I think I will be trying moneypak this time.
Re: Using Walmart/Target Debit card. [message #74867 is a reply to message #74746 ] Mon, 16 September 2013 15:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Thomas  is currently offline Thomas
Go to all my models
I work here
Howdy,

I had a similar issue (on another site) with a prepaid card that my (soon-to-be) mother-in-law gave me. Unfortunately, banks govern prepaid cards differently than normal cards. With a linked bank, debit or credit card, they can adjust the transaction if there are any concerns and can refund without concern. With a prepaid card, they can often be one-off payments and the card destroyed. For this reason, anything that might require a refund or adjustment is suspended--which means a lot of transactions cannot be complete.

Further, here is what Braintree says on the subject:

"Braintree can process any card that bears a major card brand logo (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, JCB, Diners, AmEx) regardless of whether it's considered prepaid or a gift card. Banks aren't always as open-minded. Even though we can process them, this doesn't mean that the banks will allow the transactions to go through. Prepaid cards might run successfully on one-off transactions but are often declined on recurring transactions."

Here at Shapeways, we do come across the case when a model cannot be printed (though we try really hard to print them all). In such a case, the ability to refund back to the original payment method can be essential. Therefore, it may be in your best interest (despite what the bank says one way or another) to go with a more secure type of payment that will allow you to get that refund if any issues come up with your order.

Also, feel free to open up this dialogue with us here at service using the webform so we can start you in on that order. That way, we can discuss details that you might not want to discussed in an open forum.

Previous Topic:Price difference
Next Topic:non UPS shipping

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.