Home » Support » 3D Design » Hollowing out complex architectural model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hollowing out complex architectural model [message #74481] Mon, 09 September 2013 23:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar emomobile  is currently offline emomobile
Go to my shop
So I have a very complex architectural model that I need to hollow out for printing. I have 3ds Max, Netfabb, and Mesh Lab, and I can't figure out a good way to do it. I tried the Filters -> Remeshing > Uniform Mesh Resampling method in Mesh Lab, but that really doesn't help me in my case. Most of the geometry is inside of the model. I would like a way to delete everything that is inside of the mesh so it's just an outer shell, and then just throw a shell modifier on it. Kind of like when you do a union booleon, but that I can apply to a finished model.
Re: Hollowing out complex architectural model [message #74570 is a reply to message #74481 ] Wed, 11 September 2013 12:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If I'm reading you correctly, you have a building with internal geometry you want to remove?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Hollowing out complex architectural model [message #74576 is a reply to message #74570 ] Wed, 11 September 2013 14:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar emomobile  is currently offline emomobile
Go to my shop
Correct
Re: Hollowing out complex architectural model [message #74586 is a reply to message #74481 ] Wed, 11 September 2013 15:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Our automated software will automatically remove internal geometry that is not connected to the outside of the model. I know you could do it in blender. import the file, switch to edit mode. Select one face then hit CTRL L. This will select all linked faces. Then you can hit CTRL I to select the inverse faces and delete them.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Bearings
Next Topic:I phone Case

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.