Home » Support » 3D Applications » "Invert" existing model (i.e. similar process to making a mold )
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
"Invert" existing model (i.e. similar process to making a mold ) [message #73886] Thu, 29 August 2013 14:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar mark_anderson_us  is currently offline mark_anderson_us
Go to all my models
Hi Guys

I'm completely new to 3D. I want to make a custom wall mount for a tablet device (Kindle Fire). I have access to existing 3D files for the Kindle fire. I figured it would be easier to start with that as the dimensions, curves, etc are perfect. So what I want to do is start with external frame of the existing model as internal edge of my my frame (i'd need to overlap the front quite a bit (here's a very rough sketch of what I want to do: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1376864/using-the-kindle-fire-as-a -home-automation-touchscreen#post_21294130

So two questions:
1. Is this a viable option, or just crazy talk?
2. What application would be best (for a noob with no idea bout 3D modelling). Would prefer free, but wouldn't mind investing $50-100 if I could try for free

TIA

Mark
Re: "Invert" existing model (i.e. similar process to making a mold ) [message #74013 is a reply to message #73886 ] Sun, 01 September 2013 14:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
You could do this in Sketchup Make (free).

Here are the basic steps:
Import the model.
Scale up by ~1% to give you some 'wiggle room'.
Use "Intersect with model" to subtract the Kindle shape from your final wall mount shape. Sketchup Make comes with 8 hours of Sketchup Pro and the capability to do boolean subtraction - so if you can do it in less than 8 hours it'll be a little easier.

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: "Invert" existing model (i.e. similar process to making a mold ) [message #74015 is a reply to message #74013 ] Sun, 01 September 2013 14:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks Marcus!
Re: "Invert" existing model (i.e. similar process to making a mold ) [message #74143 is a reply to message #73886 ] Tue, 03 September 2013 21:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Keymaker  is currently offline Keymaker
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Hi

You can also do this with blender and as always there are multiple ways how to do it.

One is:
1. import to blender.
2. delete faces where you want to have opening an leaving only "internal edge of your frame"
3. play with solidify modifier until you get thickness on the outside
n. profit

Marian

[Updated on: Tue, 03 September 2013 21:40 UTC]

The only thing that limits us is our imagination.
Re: "Invert" existing model (i.e. similar process to making a mold ) [message #74144 is a reply to message #74143 ] Tue, 03 September 2013 23:06 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thanks Marian

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

Regards

mark

Previous Topic:SketchUp uploading and missing texture... what?
Next Topic:Have a very basic question, hope can get your input

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.