Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Having an object fully enclosed & movable within another
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Having an object fully enclosed & movable within another [message #73995] Sat, 31 August 2013 18:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar ex0rcist  is currently offline ex0rcist
Go to all my models
Hi Community

I am thinking of modelling a pendent that has a part fully movable and fully enclosed within the body, an example would be the image below.

http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/05/10/makerb otslides_02_620x413.jpg

Does shapeways allow this?

Thanks loads,
Leo
Re: Having an object fully enclosed & movable within another [message #74000 is a reply to message #73995 ] Sat, 31 August 2013 20:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Depends on the material (and hence process) desired - generally standard with the plastics, but problematic with metals (as the "metal" printing processes offered by shapeways currently all boil down to lost wax casting use either casting or other processes involving liquid metal and not the newest direct metal sintering). Check if the design guidelines listed on the materials page contain a "Yes" on the line for "Interlocking or Enclosed Part".

EDIT: Silly me. As others noticed, the stainless steel processes do not use casting, but the "raw" sintered product is infiltrated with liquid bronze.
Apparently shapeways allowed simple moving parts some time ago, but the process must have been too delicate to be sustainable.

[Updated on: Sun, 01 September 2013 13:11 UTC]

Re: Having an object fully enclosed & movable within another [message #74001 is a reply to message #74000 ] Sat, 31 August 2013 21:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Quote:

... (as the "metal" printing processes offered by shapeways currently all boil down to lost wax casting and not the newest direct metal sintering)...

Surely not true of Stainless - effectively boils down to steel powder 'glued' together? Or...?
Re: Having an object fully enclosed & movable within another [message #74003 is a reply to message #74001 ] Sun, 01 September 2013 00:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Stainless steel is not produced using lost wax casting. But, because it must be treated in a Kiln at a point in the process, they do not allow interconnected shells - they'd attach to each other.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Having an object fully enclosed & movable within another [message #74121 is a reply to message #74003 ] Tue, 03 September 2013 15:43 UTC Go to previous message
avatar FreeRangeBrain  is currently offline FreeRangeBrain
Go to my shop
Stonysmith is spot on. You could, depending on the design, make the two items nearly independent and then make judicious use of a jeweler's saw to split them apart.

Creativity - sometimes by the brute force method.

Previous Topic:Pushing Texture Detail
Next Topic:New Materials Wish List