Home » Community » Introductions » Morning, everyone! Great to be here and start making things!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Morning, everyone! Great to be here and start making things! [message #72914] Sun, 11 August 2013 13:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar Ray_Zhou  is currently offline Ray_Zhou
Go to my shop
Hello, Dear friends,
My name is Ruijie. It's been a great week for me on Shapeways. Not only I met a lot of people during the meetup, but also my own designs are finally generated successfully by the software, and can be accepted by Shapeways after uploading.

I'd like to make some interesting blocks for my son's LEGO collection in the next week.

1) What brings you to Shapeways?

I started to noticed 3D printing a couple of months ago while looking for ways to make a prototype for my gadget design. Then I started to browse through all kinds of website related with 3D printing. In the end I realized how shapeways can help me not only make prototype, but also start a side business. There are so many interesting designs can broaden your view.

2) Where are you from?

I'm from China, now lives in New York. We'll be moving out of NYC soon, so will miss the Maker Faire next month, such a pity.

3) What are your interests or hobbies that you plan on using Shapeways for?

I want to do whatever I find interesting, small toys, gadgets. And currently, has to be something easy. I made a series of dice, and you are welcome to have a look. I'd like to make some interesting blocks for my son's LEGO collection in the next week.

4) Your software

Sketchup, for a beginner.
I've downloaded a lot, 123D design, Blender, Sculptris (know it from Sean during the meetup last week), OpenSCAD, ZW3D. However, only tried sketchup, and think it can do quite a lot. I can't navigate in Blender, and can't even open the samples in OpenSCAD. ZW3D is said to be powerful, and it's from China, but I don't want to split my attention right now.
Just learn one by one.

5) Your experience level
Zero, before sketchup and shapeways.

[Edited] The meetup last week is quite interesting. Although the space is "upgradable", people there are really nice and interesting. Natalia is very friendly and helpful, answered a lot of my questions. Daniela is also very nice to us. I also got a lot of useful information from Ben and Beekey.

Community is also very helpful. Sean gave me a lot of insight into the softwares. And got to know J.P., and got some suggestions on using Sketchup. I think I'll keep on learning from them. And hope to see more friends from Shapeways.

Welcome to stop by my shop. I'd be glad to hear everyone's suggestion.

[Updated on: Sun, 11 August 2013 14:14 UTC]

Design in mind, while still learning to put it out onto the paper.
Re: Morning, everyone! Great to be here and start making things! [message #73789 is a reply to message #72914 ] Wed, 28 August 2013 12:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Welcome Ruijie!

I'm working with my kid on some custom 'Lego compatible' bricks as well, let's exchange some ideas Smile

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Morning, everyone! Great to be here and start making things! [message #73880 is a reply to message #73789 ] Thu, 29 August 2013 13:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you, Bart.

I've made my first attempt to connect train sets to lego, but the wheels and axis are too thin. Seems thinner than I saw on the computer. I need to find time to modify it.

Lego connector part is also a bit loose, although the dimension is from the official lego design.

bartv wrote on Wed, 28 August 2013 12:32

Welcome Ruijie!

I'm working with my kid on some custom 'Lego compatible' bricks as well, let's exchange some ideas Smile

Bart

Re: Morning, everyone! Great to be here and start making things! [message #73944 is a reply to message #73880 ] Fri, 30 August 2013 08:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
What kind of trains? Those wooden ones? Hmmm, that's a very interesting idea - I may have to work on that this weekend Smile

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Morning, everyone! Great to be here and start making things! [message #73948 is a reply to message #73944 ] Fri, 30 August 2013 08:47 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
yes, Thomas and others, surprisingly, Ikea use the same size for their trains. quite handy to connect everything together.

Previous Topic:Ahoy!
Next Topic:Trying to move my modeling into the 21st Century