Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Cutting out shapes
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Cutting out shapes [message #6502] Sun, 13 September 2009 15:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar twixter  is currently offline twixter
Go to all my models
I have designed a board game where the board is a grid of 145 holes. The holes are a specific shape, and they are aligned with each other very precisely in a beehive grid pattern. I am thinking of creating a Shapeways cutting tool which would be as large as the board, consisting of a separate hole cutting shape for each hole on the board. I want all this to be a single physical object, so that the holes will be positioned accurately. This tool would be mounted on some plywood. The board, which might be sinter or foam core, would be mounted on another plywood frame. The two frames would push together, perhaps using a large vise grip or similar arrangement, to cut out the holes. I don't want the holes to go all the way through the foam core. I can dig out the foam from each hole once the vertical walls have been cut.

Would a steel Shapeways design hold a cutting edge for such a purpose? How sharp could the cutting edges be? What's the sharpest angle allowed for a cutting edge? How strong should the framework that holds all 145 hole cutters together as a single unit be? I would imagine you would have to build a strong outer shell to keep this thing from getting bent during shipping. Has anyone done anything like this before? Thanks!

[Updated on: Sun, 13 September 2009 15:47 UTC]

Re: Cutting out shapes [message #6800 is a reply to message #6502 ] Thu, 24 September 2009 16:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar randomblink  is currently offline randomblink
Go to my shop
I would be curious to find out the answer to this as well...

Welcome to Costco, I love you.
Re: Cutting out shapes [message #7187 is a reply to message #6502 ] Fri, 09 October 2009 03:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar berky93  is currently offline berky93
Go to my shop
it would work, if you printed your cutter in stainless steel. Steel holds an edge very well, and I, from first-hand experiences, know that models printed from Shapeways hold and edge (I was sanding a metal object but sanded it at too thin of an angle, and ended up cutting my finger)
Re: Cutting out shapes [message #7364 is a reply to message #6502 ] Tue, 20 October 2009 18:09 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fingers  is currently offline Fingers
Go to my shop
The material is good enough, but I think you will have to sharpen it by yourself if you want it to cut cleanly. The polishing process will dull sharp edges.

I would start out by making one hole punch at first to get an idea of the cost and the amount of work it takes to sharpen it. (Then multiply by 145 and decide whether it's worth it)

Previous Topic:Metalcasting
Next Topic:Soldering Stainless Steel

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.