Home » Support » 3D Applications » How to scan an object into a shapeways compatible file?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to scan an object into a shapeways compatible file? [message #73185] Fri, 16 August 2013 16:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar KarinaLibraryPress  is currently offline KarinaLibraryPress
Go to all my models
Just wondering what tools are out there for scanning an object and turning into a 3D printer file and then modifying perhaps?
Re: How to scan an object into a shapeways compatible file? [message #73195 is a reply to message #73185 ] Fri, 16 August 2013 18:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
There a few out there.. 123dcatch.com for example. I've had mixed luck with it.

Here's another option:
http://www.dvice.com/2013-8-16/makerbots-digitizer-3d-scanne r-arrives-next-week

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: How to scan an object into a shapeways compatible file? [message #73196 is a reply to message #73195 ] Fri, 16 August 2013 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar KarinaLibraryPress  is currently offline KarinaLibraryPress
Go to all my models
Thanks so much for those links.

The MakerBot scanner looks like it could be just the thing. I wasn't clear from the article though -- does it output to a standard format do you know?
Re: How to scan an object into a shapeways compatible file? [message #73197 is a reply to message #73196 ] Fri, 16 August 2013 19:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
It's not obvious from their blog, but there wouldn't be a lot of point if it didn't output to a standard format.
They specifically say "upload to Thingverse", so I'd assume some standard.
Besides, there's plenty of programs that can convert from one format to another.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:New to this, Cannot get the hang of how it works. HELP, Heres my file -->
Next Topic:Polygon count reduction with MeshLab for ShapeWays