Home »  » 3D Applications » Have a very basic question, hope can get your input
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Have a very basic question, hope can get your input [message #73151] Fri, 16 August 2013 05:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar Ray_Zhou  is currently offline Ray_Zhou
Messages: 14
Registered: June 2013
Go to my shop
Junior Member
from Autodesk's array of CAD products, to Blender, openSCAD, Sketchup, or Sculprtis, which ones can use hardware acceleration from video cards?

And when you do your modeling, do you usually use desktop workstations?
I'm planning to get a mobile solution in the near future and wondering if I need to get a laptop with video card in the PRO arena, like NVS or Firepro series.
I think I'll get to know more softwares in the future, so probably get a better hardware from the beginning will be useful?

Please fill me in, Thanks!


Design in mind, while still learning to put it out onto the paper.
Re: Have a very basic question, hope can get your input [message #74335 is a reply to message #73151 ] Fri, 06 September 2013 13:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Messages: 1668
Registered: December 2007
Go to my shop
Senior Member
Hey Ray_Zhou,

Quote:

from Autodesk's array of CAD products, to Blender, openSCAD, Sketchup, or Sculprtis, which ones can use hardware acceleration from video cards?


Assuming you mean hardware acceleration for displaying your models - yes, I believe all of the above support that. If you're talking about GPU rendering, I'm only familiar enough with Blender to answer that - Blender's Cycles renderer is fully GPU accelerated.

Quote:

And when you do your modeling, do you usually use desktop workstations?


I tend to, yes. But then again, I have a Macbook Air which isn't particularly fast, so I prefer to do modeling work on my iMac. Also, it's easier to work with Blender if you have a full keyboard. Then again, you can get super fast laptops with GPUs and a full keyboard!

Quote:

I'm planning to get a mobile solution in the near future and wondering if I need to get a laptop with video card in the PRO arena, like NVS or Firepro series.
I think I'll get to know more softwares in the future, so probably get a better hardware from the beginning will be useful?

Please fill me in, Thanks!


Yes, absolutely. It would depend though on how mobile you want to be - I personally don't like to carry a 17", 5KG laptop on my back Wink

Hope this helps,

Bart


Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

 
   
Previous Topic:"Invert" existing model (i.e. similar process to making a mold )
Next Topic:Blender or Rhino

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.