Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » 3D Design » Is it even possible?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Is it even possible? [message #73046] Wed, 14 August 2013 14:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar Wheelman21  is currently offline Wheelman21
Go to all my models
I'm new here and new to 3D printing so I'm hoping someone can point me in a direction here. I'm not new to CAD but it's been probably 6 years since I've done any real design work on CAD and I know tech has changed a great deal. I'm sure I can shake the rust off. However I have a question about the feasibility of a project.

I have a widget, a hard plastic widget. I want to make a scaled up version, lets say, twice it's current size. Is it possible to take a picture of the object and convert it to a 3D model that can be manipulated to change the size so that it can be printed in the new size?

I'd like to avoid having to create the design from scratch if possible.

Thanks everyone!
Re: Is it even possible? [message #73049 is a reply to message #73046 ] Wed, 14 August 2013 15:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
You could trying using software like 123D Catch.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Is it even possible? [message #73051 is a reply to message #73049 ] Wed, 14 August 2013 15:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wheelman21  is currently offline Wheelman21
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 14 August 2013 15:01

You could trying using software like 123D Catch.

I was actually just looking at the website for that when I saw your reply. I was originally trained on autodesk inventor back when in originally learned CAD and manufacturing using a tabletop C&C to machine shapes out of blue plastic/wax blocks.

Will catch allow me to change the scale? I want all the dimensions to remain constrained to each other so that it maintains shape.
Re: Is it even possible? [message #73052 is a reply to message #73051 ] Wed, 14 August 2013 15:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Once you have a 3d file there are many programs that you can use to adjust the scale.

There are even some print services (not Shapeways) where the scaling can be done after upload.
Re: Is it even possible? [message #73053 is a reply to message #73052 ] Wed, 14 August 2013 16:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
You can make a model with Catch, but I don't think the scale will be proper. You may have to adjust it in other software to get it to it's original size. You'll also have to do some work to close the model. Once you have the model solid, and to the proper size, it should be easy to scale up in any software.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Polygon limit question??
Next Topic:New Designer Here, hoping for some feedback and considerations on a simple model

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.