Home » Support » 3D Applications » New to this, Cannot get the hang of how it works. HELP, Heres my file -->
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  New to this, Cannot get the hang of how it works. HELP, Heres my file --> [message #72172] Thu, 25 July 2013 13:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar kaseybaydoyle  is currently offline kaseybaydoyle
Go to all my models
Here is my file, !HERE!

First off, Everything is coming up as ~$3K Despite working in millimeters. I am using sketchup, I am a complete noobie, I have meshlab and accutrans. Download my file in the link I gave and tell me what I am doing wrong...

Also, on upload the photo and the video of my models come up either in half or with the full model not appearing. It also cuts off some of the model. I am completely confused to what it is doing, Any help would be amazing.

I'll attach the .stl

Thanks for any help.

Re: New to this, Cannot get the hang of how it works. HELP, Heres my file --> [message #72173 is a reply to message #72172 ] Thu, 25 July 2013 14:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
All your problems (except the size and hence cost) come from the fact that the components of your model are 2d not 3d.

A sheet of paper is 3d but very thin - the components of your model have 0 thickness. Each part of your model must enclose a volume of space in a watertight shell.

I would suggest you watch some tutorial videos and start with some simpler models. Once you have got those to upload successfully you can try again with this model and you will find it much easier.

The size is down to either the settings in Sketchup for export or those units you chose for upload to Shapeways. But that should be easy to fix later.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 July 2013 14:19 UTC]

Re: New to this, Cannot get the hang of how it works. HELP, Heres my file --> [message #72174 is a reply to message #72172 ] Thu, 25 July 2013 14:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
A common problem for Sketchup users appears to be accidentally overlapping geometry.
See JACANTs message at the end of this current thread.
Also not sure how big chopsticks are in your corner of the world, but do you really need a holder that requires its own side table (14x14x19in or 40x40x50cm is rather big) ?
You might want to add netfabb studio basic to your software collection - it should help with checking and rescaling your STL.
Re: New to this, Cannot get the hang of how it works. HELP, Heres my file --> [message #72175 is a reply to message #72173 ] Thu, 25 July 2013 14:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kaseybaydoyle  is currently offline kaseybaydoyle
Go to all my models
AmLachDesigns wrote on Thu, 25 July 2013 14:18

All your problems (except the size and hence cost) come from the fact that the components of your model are 2d not 3d.

A sheet of paper is 3d but very thin - the components of your model have 0 thickness. Each part of your model must enclose a volume of space in a watertight shell.

I would suggest you watch some tutorial videos and start with some simpler models. Once you have got those to upload successfully you can try again with this model and you will find it much easier.

The size is down to either the settings in Sketchup for export or those units you chose for upload to Shapeways. But that should be easy to fix later.

I see, Thankyou for the advice Smile Yeah I think I may have put it into inches when chosing from the STL. I did od another in MM. But it was tiny ha, will have a play, Cheers man!
Re: New to this, Cannot get the hang of how it works. HELP, Heres my file --> [message #73029 is a reply to message #72175 ] Wed, 14 August 2013 03:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Ray_Zhou  is currently offline Ray_Zhou
Go to my shop
I also just started to learn sketchup, and if you export as Collada, and set the dimensions correct within Sketchup, there will be no problem. Use measure tool to see the size first, then export.

Design in mind, while still learning to put it out onto the paper.

Previous Topic:How do I determine real life measurements in Blender 3D?
Next Topic:How to scan an object into a shapeways compatible file?