Home »  » 3D Design » Hollow without escape holes possible?
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hollow without escape holes possible? [message #72847] Fri, 09 August 2013 12:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar mhy3d  is currently offline mhy3d
Go to my shop
Hi.

Is it possible to simply leave the support material inside the object?

I´m asking in particular for glazed ceramics.

Thanks
Chris

mhy3d-Chris
Re: Hollow without escape holes possible? [message #72848 is a reply to message #72847 ] Fri, 09 August 2013 12:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
No.

The Shapeways software analyses your model and if there is no exit hole treats it as solid. Also be aware that there is a max wall thickness limit for ceramics of 15mm.
Re: Hollow without escape holes possible? [message #72851 is a reply to message #72847 ] Fri, 09 August 2013 13:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
No*

To add to above, some of our materials (ceramics being one) the support material can be re-used. So we'd be sending out free material (seeing we only charge for material used) that we could be using to make someone else's model.

*you can leave the support material in Transparent Detail and FUD by having a tiny hole connecting inside geometry to the outside. This is allowed as the build material can be used as a visual technique with those materials.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Hollow without escape holes possible? [message #72864 is a reply to message #72851 ] Fri, 09 August 2013 18:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thx to both!

mhy3d-Chris
Intersecting volumes po [message #72872 is a reply to message #72864 ] Fri, 09 August 2013 23:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
And another simple question.

I uploaded an stl of two intersecting solid cubes, and the system seems to accept it.

Will it print?

mhy3d-Chris
Re: Intersecting volumes po [message #72873 is a reply to message #72872 ] Fri, 09 August 2013 23:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Yup, It should work just fine, unless one of them is very very small.
Very small (detail item) shells are removed from your file during initial processing.

You are better off if you upload a single mesh.. that way the automated process won't remove details that you might want to keep together.

You can run your file thru cloud.netfabb.com - it will unify the shells for you.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Intersecting volumes po [message #73023 is a reply to message #72873 ] Tue, 13 August 2013 23:46 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thx for clarifying.

mhy3d-Chris

Previous Topic:Problems with the hollow of a cad, help please!
Next Topic:Polygon limit question??

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.