Home » Support » 3D Design » How to get started
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to get started [message #72607] Sun, 04 August 2013 10:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar magicdds  is currently offline magicdds
Go to all my models
I have never done 3-D design or printing.

What would be the best software to use to make a 3-D object with movable parts?

How would I go about learning how to use the software?
Re: How to get started [message #72647 is a reply to message #72607 ] Mon, 05 August 2013 13:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Here's a list of software known to be compatible with Shapeways, with links to their sites that usually have tutorials.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: How to get started [message #72761 is a reply to message #72607 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 14:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar hatts  is currently offline hatts
Go to all my models
Are you willing to spend money? If so, how much?

In the mean time, here are some free solutions. You may as well get to know all of them to see what you like. The two lists represent fundamentally different ways of creating 3D shapes. The top list might be a bit restrictive in terms of shape, but will be much more easy to generate prints from. The bottom list contains various powerful tools for artistic work but always requires extra work to get 3D prints.

Realistic/mechanically-inclined CAD:
TinkerCAD - browser-based solid modeling
123D - browser-based basic solid modeling, with a mind for 3D printing

More artistically-inclined polygon modeling:
NVil - what's known as SubD modeling. An interesting way to create shapes intuitively.
Sculptris - "digital sculpting," like working with clay. Use with a pen tablet.
Blender - large, extremely capable full-featured program, with a tough learning curve.

Previous Topic:How to add thickness to polys in 3Ds Max
Next Topic:How is the Min Escape Hole defined?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.