Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Release agent for WSF mold.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Release agent for WSF mold. [message #72486] Thu, 01 August 2013 13:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar lakeb82  is currently offline lakeb82
Go to all my models
I needed to make a series of unique bridge pylons for a model railroad layout. Rather than having Shapeways print the template for a mold. I'm having them print the mold itself. It actually took less material in the end. Here's the process I'm thinking of.

1. Make a plaster or resin cast out of the shapeways mold from WSF.
2. Modify this cast with finer detail and prep for hardware fittings
3. Make a silicone or rubber mold from the plaster cast.
4. Make the production cast from the silicone mold.

The reason I'm would like to do it this way is so I can use the original Shapeways mold as little as possible, and if I blow it on step 2 I don't have to order a new part.

I've got a good Idea how to do it from step 2 on, the question I have is this.

Does anyone have any good ideas for release agent for WSF and plaster or resin in step 1?

Thanks everyone,
I've been doing 3D modeling for years now and I'm very excited about the application here!
Re: Release agent for WSF mold. [message #72724 is a reply to message #72486 ] Wed, 07 August 2013 03:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lakeb82  is currently offline lakeb82
Go to all my models
Oddly enough at all it took was cooking spray, and that was casting concrete with the WSF mold.

Previous Topic:Paint curing problems with FD/FUD?
Next Topic:elasto-plastic finishing techniques?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.