Home » Support » 3D Applications » Alibre stupidity
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Alibre stupidity [message #5244] Wed, 15 July 2009 21:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar crystalfontz  is currently offline crystalfontz
Go to all my models
Anyone have advice on how to take a sheet metal part, or boolean assembly from Alibre and actually have it exported in a fashion that Shapeways can digest without innumerable non-manifold issues? Looking at the part in Blender just boggles the mind for issues, and deleting all the non-manifold stuff just makes the part go away... any thoughts?

Re: Alibre stupidity [message #5246 is a reply to message #5244 ] Wed, 15 July 2009 23:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WiKKiDWidgets  is currently offline WiKKiDWidgets
Go to my shop
Sweet mother Mary and Joseph!

Shocked

Are you sure that was manifold when you exported it? Can you export it to any other formats? Like. .OBJ or DXF?

Re: Alibre stupidity [message #5358 is a reply to message #5244 ] Wed, 22 July 2009 13:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar awelter  is currently offline awelter
Go to my shop
Hi

One possibility is to export the file from alibre to stp 203 or igs or acis and then reimport to alibre. In the next step you export it to stl.

Another possibility is to import the stl file to minimagics. Even if minimagics says that there are errors, don't bother, reexport to stl and upload. Sometimes this helps.

adrien

Re: Alibre stupidity [message #5886 is a reply to message #5244 ] Sat, 15 August 2009 13:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar madox  is currently offline madox
Go to my shop
How I get by :-

Set a maximum cell size in the STL export options. This usually fixes it for me (small cell size).

Meshlab Smile

Just bought Alibre Smile
icon4.gif  Re: Alibre stupidity [message #7219 is a reply to message #5244 ] Sun, 11 October 2009 10:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jukka K  is currently offline Jukka K
Go to all my models
I think this is useful data at least those using Alibre.

I use Alibre Express (the free version). I did have a two days bout Mad of frustration with manifold froblems on uploading the Alibre generated STL files. Two days of my summer vacation Twisted Evil

I tried to solve with Netfab freeware. Then serendipitously found MiniMagics (free) and tried that. It solved the trouble. Just open the Alibre generated STL files, MM shows if part is Ok (mine has this far) and then save newly as STL. I haven't had any such trouble since... Very Happy

Jukka

Re: Alibre stupidity [message #7227 is a reply to message #7219 ] Mon, 12 October 2009 00:04 UTC Go to previous message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
Okay think I got all of it,

Main problems were;

- All normals were the wrong way around. Simple enough to fix.
- Little cutouts that you'd made on the three little knobs caused the knobs to be hollow and have no thickness.
- Duplicate face to make the "lip" on the top of the knob. It was also just a single plane, not a manifold. I've removed the lip. You will have to re-make it, or just leave it off. It was far too small to actually print anyway.
- On one of the knobs the translation went bad where your teeth/gear feature is connecting to main body. I've left it as my program fixed it, but you should be able to just cut out one of the 'good' ones to replace it with.

Hope this helps Smile

Previous Topic:Issues with manifold...
Next Topic:Software recommendation for mathematical objects

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.