Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Paint curing problems with FD/FUD?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Paint curing problems with FD/FUD? [message #72257] Sat, 27 July 2013 15:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar patmat2350  is currently offline patmat2350
Go to my shop
Anyone else having problems with paint cure on FUD?

I have cleaned my parts every which way imaginable... even a final wash in lacquer thinner (which does not craze FUD, yay). Yet my enamel paints of various types often won't cure on the stuff. The same paints cure just fine on other substrates, which tells me there's a chemical incompatibility with this plastic.

Could there be variations in the degree of cure off the printer? I know that SLA parts are usually subjected to a post-printing extra cure in a UV-lit chamber. Maybe I should leave my parts out in the sun for a few days?
Re: Paint curing problems with FD/FUD? [message #72277 is a reply to message #72257 ] Sat, 27 July 2013 23:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar patmat2350  is currently offline patmat2350
Go to my shop
OK, took some advice and repainted my FUD parts with acrylic paints instead of enamel... works fine!

I know one doesn't paint enamel over acrylic paint, but I expected the plastic (which is an acrylic resin) to be OK... apparently not!

Previous Topic:How to stop color from WSF wearing off?
Next Topic:Release agent for WSF mold.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.