Home » Community » Introductions » Hi Jawsisra
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hi Jawsisra [message #72232] Fri, 26 July 2013 16:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar jawsisra  is currently offline jawsisra
Go to all my models
Hi my name is Jason but you all can call me Jaws.

1) What brings you to Shapeways?
Well I want to get into making toys for my sisters kids, Also to help add to my collection with a few custom made toy action figures of characters either never released or so rare that no chance I will ever come a cross them. My problems is I have no idea how to even make a model to send to Shapways to have the items made. I have a lot of pics of the characters but never been able to make a model

2) Where are you from?
I am from the USA. I do not like telling were I am from as I have recived harrasments before though the mail from other sites after telling were I am from

3) What are your interests or hobbies that you plan on using Shapeways for?
I am into Pokemon, Yugioh, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Legend of Zelds, Sonic, Super Mario and many other Anime and Video Games. + I also like Mythology (In fact Mythology is what brings me here. I want to make action figures of Greek and Egyptian Gods for the kids + my self mostly)

4) Your software (Don't have one? Look here for a list of known compatible software!)
Right now I do not have one of the listed software. I been thinking of using MeshLab if its easy to learn.

5) Your experience level
Very very very low.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 July 2013 16:33 UTC]

Re: Hi Jawsisra [message #72237 is a reply to message #72232 ] Fri, 26 July 2013 17:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Welcome!

How old are the kids? We recommend our products to be used for decorative purposes only.

Meshlab is more for fixing models than creating them. Seeing you want to draw characters, have a look at 123D, Sculptris, and Blender. All free programs that can do organics well. If I were you I would be finding a character close to what you want to use, use 123D catch to create a 3D model from it. Import that into Meshlab to clean it up. Then I'd use Sculptris to modify it. You can skip Sculptris and modify in Blender, but I haven't learned how to do that one yet. But I do use blender for hollowing, scaling, and adding simple items.

Only thing we send via mail (UPS) is your orders.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 July 2013 17:05 UTC]

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Hi Jawsisra [message #72238 is a reply to message #72237 ] Fri, 26 July 2013 17:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jawsisra  is currently offline jawsisra
Go to all my models
Thank you. I not very good with drawing using computer programs. I noticed some people make and sell action figures and lego figures. I asked a few people what they would charge to make them and they all want some were between $400 to $500 and I been told that making on there would be cheaper for me. The toys I would make for the kids would be between baby toys for the 1 year old and action figures for the 9 year old.
Re: Hi Jawsisra [message #72239 is a reply to message #72232 ] Fri, 26 July 2013 17:32 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
If you are willing to learn to do it yourself, it's very rewarding. If you need help doing it, we have a modeler needed section and a modeler for hire section.

I would not let a 1 year old handle our products. The only current certified food safe material (as 1 year olds like to put stuff in their mouths) is our Ceramic material, and it's very fragile.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:There's a SEspider hanging in the corner!
Next Topic:hi from a student in Brighton