Home » Support » 3D Applications » Collada from UU3D is failing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Collada from UU3D is failing [message #71887] Sat, 20 July 2013 00:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar Sparkling  is currently offline Sparkling
Go to my shop
I've exported my model from Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro (UU3D) to Collada (DAE) format. When I upload the model I get an error that no geometry was found. I am clicking the box that says export geometry as mesh. Why can't it find the geometry?

NOTE: I have tried uploading just the .DAE by itself as well as uploading it in a ZIP with the textures included. Neither method works.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 July 2013 01:09 UTC]

Re: Collada from UU3D is failing [message #71899 is a reply to message #71887 ] Sat, 20 July 2013 12:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
A quick look on the webpage for that program shows that it can export to VRML2 as well. Can you try this, in case it is a bug in either
their DAE export or Shapeways' DAE import module ?
Re: Collada from UU3D is failing [message #71900 is a reply to message #71887 ] Sat, 20 July 2013 13:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I know with Blender, the software that I use, you must make sure that the model (mesh, shell, whatever) is selected before you take the export option, otherwise you will end up with an empty file.

Perhaps it is similar in your software? Have you tried experimenting a little?

Good luck!

[Edited for poor punctuation!]

[Updated on: Sat, 20 July 2013 13:23 UTC]

Re: Collada from UU3D is failing [message #71905 is a reply to message #71899 ] Sat, 20 July 2013 16:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I can not find that plugin on their page.

http://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/downloads.aspx

-Sparkling
Re: Collada from UU3D is failing [message #71906 is a reply to message #71900 ] Sat, 20 July 2013 16:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I have used this model in my game, and it works fine in the game. When exporting from UU3D to DAE format you have to check a box that says "Export as mesh" and I have done this. I don't know why it can't find the geometry.
Re: Collada from UU3D is failing [message #71907 is a reply to message #71905 ] Sat, 20 July 2013 18:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
I can select "VRML 1.0, 2.0 (WRL)" in the chooser widget under "Third Party Plugins" near the bottom of that page,
and it offers me a "wrl.zip" if i click on the download buttom, so it seems to work for me ?
Re: Collada from UU3D is failing [message #71915 is a reply to message #71907 ] Sun, 21 July 2013 00:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
After attempting DAE, WRL, X3D, and STL.

DAE fails. Can't find geometry.
WRL fails. Can't find geometry.

STL finally worked, sort of, except it imports the model at a 90 degree angle from what it shows in the software.
X3D almost works but keeps giving texture errors. I'm trying to resolve that now.

I know they aren't really marketing to Indies, they want professionals with high volume orders. But it would be really nice if the exports worked as expected. I will keep trying to figure it out. I should know by now that it's never ever easy.

-Sparkling

[EDIT] Texture issue resolved. Got model to load properly. Now to replicate the process! Looks like X3D is the format of choice for UU3D users.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 July 2013 00:15 UTC]

Re: Collada from UU3D is failing [message #72036 is a reply to message #71915 ] Tue, 23 July 2013 19:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar samsonite  is currently offline samsonite
Go to all my models
I use Ultimate Unwrap 3D too, and all of those formats work for me.

I suspect the problem is with your model.
If you wanted somebody to look at it, then you could upload it to the forum.

Perhaps your model has empty or unassigned groups or materials, which may translate into empty geometry, so ShapeWays may be failing to read the first empty mesh it encounters and quits unexpectedly.

I'm sure ShapeWays can make their importer to be a little more robust by ignoring instances of empty meshes, if that happens to be the case.

In any case, Ultimate Unwrap 3D has tools to clean up you model, get rid of empty groups, unused materials, etc... before exporting it.

icon14.gif  Re: Collada from UU3D is failing [message #72039 is a reply to message #72036 ] Tue, 23 July 2013 20:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hello Samsonite,
I am happy to make your acquaintance. I have been making models for games for about 10 years now. I'm very new to making models for 3D printing though. I mostly use UU3D to convert models that I have created in Milkshape or Fragmotion. If you could point me to some tutorials for using UU3D for making 3D printable models I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you!

God bless you,
-Sparkling
Re: Collada from UU3D is failing [message #72057 is a reply to message #72039 ] Tue, 23 July 2013 23:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi, there are some things you can do to clean up your model before exporting it.
Clean up, as in getting rid of unassigned or unused associations in your model, such as groups and materials/textures.

Specifically for UU3D (Pro version), if you right-click on the "Groups" or "Materials" text in the Scene Window, this brings up a floating menu. There should be a menu command called "Prune". Clicking this command will remove any unassigned Groups/Materials.
I would do this for both groups and materials.

Also, since ShapeWays only supports GIF, JPG, PNG, there are things you can do to convert all of your textures into PNG, for example.
Specifically for UU3D, you can click File -> Export -> Textures. Set "Save As" type to PNG, click "Select All", set your saved directory, then click Export. This converts your textures only, but it doesn't automatically update the model to use them. The easiest way to update your model is to first export it to Wavefront OBJ format, then use MS Notepad to open up the .MTL file and search/replace all of the texture filename extensions so they use PNG.
Then load the OBJ file back into UU3D, and save it normally.

As for textured file formats, I would pick VRML2.0 or X3D as the best ones for export. I don't recommend DAE, simply because the quality of importers vary greatly when it comes to supporting Collada files. For solid support, I would pick a format that works on raw, pre-transformed data, like STL (no textures) or OBJ. OBJ would best only if Shapeways added texture support to it.

Re: Collada from UU3D is failing [message #72059 is a reply to message #72057 ] Tue, 23 July 2013 23:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm using X3D to export now and that has worked consistently for me. So I'll probably stick with that. And I already use .PNG files for textures so I'm good there. I am pretty sure my models don't have any unassigned groups, so I really don't think that was the problem. Not sure what it was but it accepts the X3D format so I guess that's what is important. Thanks for the tips!

-Sparkling
Re: Collada from UU3D is failing [message #72113 is a reply to message #72059 ] Wed, 24 July 2013 18:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
It's hard to tell without looking at your model, but taking wild guesses, you can also look at your string names (materials,groups,textures,etc...) to see if you're using any characters other than the alphabet (A-z) or numbers (0 to 9).
Plain text file formats have rules about what characters can be used. Bad chars might prevent an importer from reading your file properly, or even 'white space' might cause problems. Exporters should take care of them by replacing any illegal chars, but it doesn't hurt to look.

Also, you can triangulate your model before export. It looks like ShapeWays accepts non-triangulated data, so it doesn't hurt to do it.
Re: Collada from UU3D is failing [message #72115 is a reply to message #72113 ] Wed, 24 July 2013 18:35 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Just thinking outloud, if I wanted to your isolate your problem, I first delete all groups, materials, and textures, and export it to the same format that have previously given you troubles. If it worked where it didn't work before, then that would tell me your problem isn't related to geometry, but perhaps a naming or assignment issue.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 July 2013 18:36 UTC]

Previous Topic:Maya export issues
Next Topic:Using netfabb for fixing walls

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.